Birds stop laying all the time. They have for as long as humans have domesticated them - one of the reasons people frequently ate the flock over winter, keeping just a few of the best birds to hatch new birds in spring. And often tried to time hatches so that new layers would produce over the first winter (whil older layers went to the table)

Virginia Tech Co-op
Oregon State (archived from almost two decades ago)
Mississippi State
U of KY
my local Extension office
Virginia Poly
UMN

The Omlet coop people (UK)
PBS Pet travel CO (UK)

With a quick search "why aren't my chicks laying" on Google, you will find hundreds of websites offering a very similar list of reasons hens stop laying. It is common, normal, and expected. There is nothing new about it, certainly nothing sensational about it.

Here's an October 1999 manual of considerations for Lohman Browns (start at lighting, p28)

Krueger was studying lighting levels on hen egg production ion the late 70s. Meyer joined in in the early 80s. Hard to find their research in print (pre-modern internet) but many modern lighting studies (mostly on LEDs - use "warm" wavelengths - yellow/reds) reference or rely on the findings of their prior works in pushing the envelope of our understanding. Not the first, however - here's something from 1960.
And pullets that started laying just this past September quit laying already Oct through current day. It's not because it's winter, at least not for everyone. Also, people that have had chickens for decades notice when something is awry.

And pullets that started laying just this past September quit laying already Oct through current day. It's not because it's winter, at least not for everyone. Also, people that have had chickens for decades notice when something is awry.
And plenty of people that have had birds for a good long time are also saying that this is normal. I've had birds almost 13 years now, and this winter was the first that I had off egg lapses. You know what else this winter was the first of?

Different breeds.
A solid week and a half of -20F and lower.
Way more over cast days than normal
Certain predators around the coop

It's not some conspiracy like people keep squawking about.

Last edited:
Yeah but it's all new chicken keepers who don't know that birds stop and or slow down with their laying around their second year. Chickens (usually) stop laying for the winter months. Period. Their body goes into hibernation mode and they molt.

Sunlight is a big requirement to make eggs. They need 12 to 14 hours of sunlight to make eggs. Guess what's less in the winter months?

It's okay to be ignorant and not know things, but people spread misinformation all the time. And some do it purposely to get people in a tizzy.
Actually, no, it's not "all new chicken keepers". Not even close. Pullets will lay without 14 hrs of sunlight as will a few breeds of hens.

I'm not going to link to his sites, but he labels himself "the Health Ranger", owner of NaturalNews.com and "Truth Publishing" Has a clear agenda, and a penchant for sensationalism. Not real strong on the science.
Agree that he does tend toward sensationalism and can go back and forth on conclusions of various topics. However, his lab is top notch really and can and does do some very good testing. Science? That is a very deep subject with a rabbit hole that's bigger than most could possibly imagine. ( :

We are looking into mixing our own feed using this fella’s formula on a YouTube video:

Premium whole oats 30lb

Whole corn 20lbs.

Black oil sunflower seeds 20lb

Split Peas 10lbs

Flax seed 5lbs

Add DE as well maybe a cup?

So we see that TS is where we can source the first three ingredients, but I’m wondering gbwhere Incan buy bulk split peas and bulk flax seeds.
Does anyone else mix their own feed, if so what fro you use, what amounts and where do you find your ingredients? Appreciate any help. 😁
I ordered my bulk flax seed off of walmart.com, of all places.

Ok, but I do have a question for you
(If you ask my husband, I am the perennial party pooper and kill-joy, plus I notoriously overthink things):

You are looking at 85 pounds of seeds of various sizes you aim to mix into a homogenous feed. not to mention that that is a ton of feed to stockpile for a small flock (I take it you have about 6 hens?)

I buy a 25 pound bag of feed at the store because the 50 pound is too heavy. The bag lasts my 5 girls for a long time. They get a few things extra, but the feed is their staple.
I am not sure you can buy the seeds in just those amounts.
if you have a container with stuff (no matter what, Legos, nuts, cereal...) and move it around, the content will invariably shift to basically separate.
given whole, the birds will with no fail pick through the feed and eat their favorites. After all, they are equipped with natural tweezers.

Out of personal curiosity, how do you propose to mix that amount of feed to get everything evenly distributed? Are you going to buy a cement mixer? Which seems to me to be the most practical solution to amounts like that? (yes, I have dealt with grains in larger amounts. they are dense and heavy, and I was much younger then.)

then again, I am a cynic. I do not believe anything any youtube channel/influencer says. Unless it can be verified by independent sources.
If I were you, I'd look at U_Stormcrow's articles and contributions. He has taken great pains to read up on the recent feed studies. I am not going to tag him here, it's not his job to teach us about nutrition. Although I think he would have not much good to say the recipe you shared)

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor.
Hummm….

Would a cement mixer work?

I never thought about mixing grains with one - I was going to mix mine manually in smaller portions.

But heck I HAVE a cement mixer here on the farm. What a great idea, Alagal!

Back
Top Bottom