Bullying!

EAWCinci

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2015
Loveland, Ohio

I have 3 mallards... 2 female 1 male. Lucky is a female, 2 yrs old. Donald and Hillary are almost 4 months old. Lately, Donald has really become a real problem! Now, I'm not being political, but Donald is a bully!! Every time I let my dog out to do his job... Donald is all over him! He pecks at him, many times near his face. My dog is very patient, and hasn't fought back... but I'm not sure how long his patience will hold up. My cats, who used to go out into my backyard, now won't go out... they're afraid! Any suggestions on how to calm this duck down so he doesn't try to attack my dog or cats??

I only have hens but they charged at my dogs a couple times too. Even got a little hair once. My dogs, like yours, don't react. I usually just chase the ducks off a little. Nothing crazy just get them away from the dogs. One of the ducks was really aggressive at first. Once she went after one of the dogs while they were all next to me on the ground. I just reacted and grabbed her by the neck. I held her for a bit and then let her go. After that she seemed to calm down. I think it was just a matter of the ducks learning they weren't aloud to go after the dogs.

It's not bullying as much as being in Protective Mode. My drake sort of "herds" the dog (35 lbs) when she's passing through the hens to get from point A to point B, but after she jumps onto the deck, he veers away. He's just protecting his girls from a possible attacker. Of course, it doesn't help when the dog grins to herself and runs past the ducks, making them scatter. Somehow, I don't think this is an... accident.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom