Bullying

Quail_

Chirping
Apr 8, 2023
I recently got six new chicks. They are vary young compared too my current chicks, i am estimating atleast 4 or 5 weeks for my oldest and maybe a week to my youngest. Only one of my oldest chickens are bullying the babies and im worried for injury. I think its because of the stress of lossing 4 of their flock mates.

Anything on how to keep the babies safe is helpful.

I recently got six new chicks. They are vary young compared too my current chicks, i am estimating atleast 4 or 5 weeks for my oldest and maybe a week to my youngest. Only one of my oldest chickens are bullying the babies and im worried for injury. I think its because of the stress of lossing 4 of their flock mates.

Anything on how to keep the babies safe is helpful.
My experience has been that there are always chicks that are more dominant, and that usually happens from the oldest down to the youngest. I have found that as long as there are a couple that are the same age, they kind of flock together and stay out of the way of the ones at the top of the pecking order.

If you feel worried that it is beyond simply establishing a pecking order, you should separate the smallest ones and let them get a little bigger, while still being in eyeshot of the others.

Back
Top Bottom