Bum Leg

What do you do for a chicken with a hurt leg?
Depends what you mean by "hurt" . Are you talking a wound? Sprain? Break? Deformity? Accident? Injury? Pictures help along with alittle more background. When did this occur? How old is the bird? Hen or roo? How did this hurt happen and how long has it been going on?

Depends what you mean by "hurt" . Are you talking a wound? Sprain? Break? Deformity? Accident? Injury? Pictures help along with alittle more background. When did this occur? How old is the bird? Hen or roo? How did this hurt happen and how long has it been going on?

She's an 8-month old buff Orpington. I first noticed her hanging out in the coop a couple of days a go. I tried nudging her to get her to move, and she just stumbled around. I picked her up and checked her vent area to see if it was "butt-rot." She was clear. So, I set her down in the open pen and she vigorously pecked at the scratch on the ground. She moved around, but she didn't use her left leg much at all. This morning, she was back in the coop on a nest box. She seems a little better, but still hobbles badly. We checked the leg out. There seems to be no sign of a break or wound. But, it hurts enough she'll squawk when you mess with it. I've attached a picture. She let out a screech when I straightened her leg out for the pic.

Attachments

• Bum Leg Chicken.JPG
    Bum Leg Chicken.JPG
    460.7 KB · Views: 3
She's an 8-month old buff Orpington. I first noticed her hanging out in the coop a couple of days a go. I tried nudging her to get her to move, and she just stumbled around. I picked her up and checked her vent area to see if it was "butt-rot." She was clear. So, I set her down in the open pen and she vigorously pecked at the scratch on the ground. She moved around, but she didn't use her left leg much at all. This morning, she was back in the coop on a nest box. She seems a little better, but still hobbles badly. We checked the leg out. There seems to be no sign of a break or wound. But, it hurts enough she'll squawk when you mess with it. I've attached a picture. She let out a screech when I straightened her leg out for the pic.
Wash her feet off with warm water and soap so you can see if there's any scabs or something else going on. Check her leg for resistance by putting your hand under her foot and pressing up . Look up her leg at her hock to see if it's swelled and feel around for wounds or anything swelled. From the image I don't thing she looks scaly legged so that shouldn't be the issue. Is she getting enough to eat? Is she molting? Does she lay eggs? Is it possible she could of jumped down from a high place?

We don’t like to mention Mareks disease when there could be many different possibilities, and injury would be the most common, but at that age, I would watch her for any other symptoms. A sprain, bumblefoot scab, or bruised foot would be something to look for. Imbalance, a numb leg, curled under toes, twisting of the neck, and many other symptoms can be seen in Mareks. Make sure that she can reach her food and water, and that she is getting enough. Watch out for bullying.

We don’t like to mention Mareks disease when there could be many different possibilities, and injury would be the most common, but at that age, I would watch her for any other symptoms. A sprain, bumblefoot scab, or bruised foot would be something to look for. Imbalance, a numb leg, curled under toes, twisting of the neck, and many other symptoms can be seen in Mareks. Make sure that she can reach her food and water, and that she is getting enough. Watch out for bullying.
Thanks! we'll keep a sharp eye out for any of those symptoms.

Wash her feet off with warm water and soap so you can see if there's any scabs or something else going on. Check her leg for resistance by putting your hand under her foot and pressing up . Look up her leg at her hock to see if it's swelled and feel around for wounds or anything swelled. From the image I don't thing she looks scaly legged so that shouldn't be the issue. Is she getting enough to eat? Is she molting? Does she lay eggs? Is it possible she could of jumped down from a high place?
Great place to start. We'll get right on it.

Back
Top Bottom