Bumble Foot (Feet) Help Please!!!!

Crack N' Egg

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
Flemington, NJ
Hi Everyone!

I have a Barred Rock named Tic Tac and a few days ago my husband and I performed some surgery on both of her feet. I have been cleaning and redressing her feet with Neosporin and gauze and vet wrap every day. I'm wondering if that is enough, or do I need to start some penicillin maybe?

I have a TSC in town, but they don't carry any injectable for poultry. They only carry Tylan 50, 100 mL, Elanco Cattle Treatment, and Durvet
00ae.png
Pen Aqueous, 100 mL (which states all animals, but poultry). Are any of those able to be used on chickens? There is no other feed store around that carries meds.

I don't want to lose my girl, she is such a sweetheart!!!

Please help me, this is the first medical we've had and now hubby is out of town for a week and I have no extra hands for help.

Thanks BYC!!

If it looks like Tic Tacs feet are healing, there's no need to introduce an antibiotic. I've performed many bumblefoot surgeries and not once have had to use an antibiotic.

Thank you so much for your replies. I'm hesitant about the anitbiotics. I really would rather stay away from it. Here are some pics...

37933_p7300013.jpg

37933_p7300016.jpg

37933_p7300018.jpg

37933_p7300020.jpg

37933_p7300027.jpg

I've been changing the vetwrap, neosporin and gauze everyday. I'm only worried that I will be away Fri, Sat, and getting back Sunday morning, so I won't be able to change it then.
But the vetwrap has been doing an excellent job of keeping it clean and even dry. I loved that stuff when I had horses and I love that I could use it for my chickens too.

I did the surgery on Sat. Hopefully it will be ok if changed on Thursday and left till Sunday.

Her feet should be healed way before Friday unless there's more infection. Did you soak her feet in warm salty water to help draw the infection out? Then squeeze the footpads and dig around if necessary to see if anything comes out. I soak a small gauze with 1% iodine and put either neosporin or triple antibiotic on the gauze then put it on the bottom of their feet and wrap it up. Vet wrap didnt work for me so I used duct tape, it doesnt get wet as much as vet wrap and they cant pick it off. It looks like you've done a superb job!

i have a hen im still working on but i decided actually to let it be for a week.. best decision i made. Let me say this was a HUGE plug i pulled out, and then i let it sit for a day, and i just kept finding more and more ribbons. I ended up getting an exacto knife and cutting out around the edge of where the BIG plug was, and trying my best with the tweezers, etc to get all that yellow stuff out( its attached to meat in her ? anyways- i left it for a week, and i was really hoping that it hadnt helped brew more infection. the gauze was slightly stuck to the healing section of her foot, but i only had to cut around the outside of the hole VERY LITTLE and found a few more yellow seeds in there but wow .. it looks SO MUCH better.

Btw, i havent used the wrap, i used gauze, neo and duct tape.

She has chrome dubs!
gig.gif
but she feels so much better!

I tried the tricide neo and it worked great on some of the smaller, not so deep infections. The 7 minutes a day soakings just got to be too time consuming over many many days whereas surgery was much quicker on the deeper infections, quicker healing time too.

Back
Top Bottom