Bumble Foot going up LEG?!?

AthenasOwl

Songster
5 Years
May 6, 2014
Olympia, Washington
This post is about my rooster, "Peach." Last month he had a bad case of Bumble Foot..it was so bad that it started going up his leg and making his leg swell. I am new at raising chickens, and bumble foot. I took Peach to the Vet and the Vet confirmed that it is what he had. The Vet gave Peach Baytril and then lanced the foot. He instructed us to soak it every day for 4 or 5 days and then leave it open to the air so that it would close up on it's own. We had him in the house for 2 weeks and did keep it clean and dry. We knew that he was feeling better as he started crowing in the middle of the night like he does. After 2 weeks we decided to allow him to go back outside. We put Manuka Honey on his foot and bandaged it up well. (it has been dry here, so there was no chance at him getting it wet)
Question is, his back toe still is larger than the other, and the foot opened back up again, after he was totally healed. What would you do? I don't have a clue as where to do the surgery and he doesn't have a 'callous' looking injury present. Any help is great, as he is a sweet rooster!

Thanks for any help, that you can offer.

What i did is scrub in warm epson salt about twice a day and put a general antibiotic ointment on it doesnt have to be fancy. Keep it dry, in my experience it got worse when wrapping it. (My hen got her leg caught in a rat trap and snapped it in half so i had to wrap it) you can give him a antibiotic by mouth if you want it really doesnt matter in his case i did under the circumstances. Hope your guy gets to feeling better!!

Back
Top Bottom