Bumble foot plug too small

Gallinae mater

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 7, 2012
I noticed one of my black hens limping today, and I had read some threads on here about bumble foot and seen pictures of it. Her pad was swollen, and there was a little plug like what I'd seen in pictures. So I decided to do the surgery myself. The scab was not that big, or protruding at all, so I used a needle to dig it out. I scraped the scab off and squeezed but nothing came out and the hole is too small to get tweezers in to pull anything out. Also, after poking a bit it bled a little bit. I decided to put some triple antibotic cream on her and bandage her up. I need to find out more before I hurt her any more. Is it possible she doesn't have bumble foot at all? and if she does, how do I work on her if the hole is too small to get the junk out?

Thanks for the resource! I've actually seen that one, and several others like it. I guess specifically I'm wanting to know how to go about that same process with a scab that has too small a hole to pull anything out of. Do I just have to cut a bigger hole? I don't want to damage her foot any more than I already have if it isn't going to help anything.

i have never done it, but i believe you would need to cut it a little bigger so you can take out the pus plug out. In the photos in that link she is cutting around the scab (for the record i would be hesitant to cut so much too!!). Do you see the pus at all where you or just tissue?

I can't see any pus at all which is why it worries me to cut deeper or bigger. It is swollen, and she is limping, but it's not an extreme case like some pictures I've seen. You're probably right. I'll have to cut a bigger hole. Thanks again.

I can't see any pus at all which is why it worries me to cut deeper or bigger. It is swollen, and she is limping, but it's not an extreme case like some pictures I've seen. You're probably right. I'll have to cut a bigger hole. Thanks again.

I would try the noninvasive method suggested in post #5 above. I have treated a few myself successfully with TricideNeo, and have been following the bumbletfoot threads,and it seems that it is effective for cases exactly like yours: a simple swollen foot pad with a scab, but not a huge goober that can be easily seen from the top of the foot. It is not necessary to physically remove anything unless there is a hardened kernel. It's the big ugly ones that have been going on long enough to have a hardened kernel that need surgery...or so it seems, from the many threads and posts on this problem.

Thanks! That's very helpful. She pulled the bandage off last night so I can't tell which one she is right off (I have four black hens). But she's not limping now so it makes it even harder to find her haha!! I'll check her foot again today and clean her up. Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom