BUMBLE SURGERY

Trenton H

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2022
Hi All,

I have a runner with a large lump under her foot. There is a small scabbed over area, but after I soak her and pull the scab away, all that is underneath is pinkish red flesh, and the wound starts to bleed. I believe what I am dealing with is bumble, and I want to know if I should open up the lump to clean out the wound, or wait and see if something progresses naturally. She is not limping. Any thoughts/comments are much appreciated!

Thanks,

Trenton
IMG_1731.JPG
IMG_1733.JPG
IMG_1734.JPG

My Runner had one very much like that. No scab so after being on antibiotics for 7 days with no change I made a small slit and pop out the bumble it was not any bumble I had ever treated in my chickens. I am not saying you should do this just relating what I had to do to get the bumble out. She did finish up on her 14 days of antibiotics though.

My Runner had one very much like that. No scab so after being on antibiotics for 7 days with no change I made a small slit and pop out the bumble it was not any bumble I had ever treated in my chickens. I am not saying you should do this just relating what I had to do to get the bumble out. She did finish up on her 14 days of antibiotics though.
Thanks for the advice. There are no avian vets in my area, are there any over-the-counter antibiotics you would recommend?

Hi! I've had great success with passive removal of bumbles, but it takes a lot of time, resources and energy. If you're not 100% committed to the surgery & administering antibiotics post-op to prevent infection (as I wasn't 😅) this could be a route! I did epsom soaks every couple of days in a retrofitted 5 gallon bucket with a hole cut in the lid weighted with a brick. Post soak, I would apply ointment, gauze, gauze wrap, vet wrap then create a waterproofing foot/leg wrap with duck tape. I'd leave that one for a few days and try to isolate the bird on days when it was raining/ pool day. After several weeks of soaks and wraps eventually it comes to a head, then I just pop/peel the bumble "plug" out 🤮 Gross but effective. Then I continue with the wraps until the wound heals over. Keeping it covered and moist speeds the recovery.

In your photo you can see the entrance wound where I'm guessing the staph entered? I've heard stories of no intervention, but would advise some sort of action because you don't want it to get any bigger or cause limping and or hindrance to the ducks walk and health.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Quick Update: The swollen area kept on growing, so I opted to do surgery to remove it. Things went very well, and with minimal cutting, I was able to push out a very large white mass. She is doing much better, and moving around without a limp again.

I have Baytril now, and was wondering what the recommended dosage is for an adult runner duck?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom