Bumblefoot… do these feet look like they’re healing?!

Michellemay

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2021
Pennsylvania
1F8545B0-A052-46BE-B407-748E86A6956E.jpeg

My girl Brownie has bumblefoot on both feet 😢 I got the black scabs off & have been applying vetericyn and prid drawing salve every other day. Also Epsom salt soaks for as long as she can relax in the bath. This is after almost a week of doing this. Does it look better? I think it does but want to make sure. Anything else I should be doing? Thanks in advance. I’d like to not have to do anything super invasive.

Attachments

• 6A050F8A-AC14-41E8-8402-5062520120DA.jpeg
    6A050F8A-AC14-41E8-8402-5062520120DA.jpeg
    451.2 KB · Views: 19
Looking good. I would rap for another week or so, as you don't want to risk the infection coming back. You probably don't have do do the Epson salts soaks any more, just rap and keep on applying the disinfectant.

Did you get the pus out or just topical care and soaking? Initially it does look better, I still see a tad bit in the center but once that's gone I'd say she's done with treatment. Looks like you caught it early.
I did get some out, but on the one foot I was thinking there may still be some in there as well. Next time I rewrap I’ll try to get any out that I can. Thank you!

Looking good. I would rap for another week or so, as you don't want to risk the infection coming back. You probably don't have do do the Epson salts soaks any more, just rap and keep on applying the disinfectant.
Thank god! I read so many posts saying chickens enjoyed the Epsom salt baths, well mine hate them! Thanks for the input

Thank god! I read so many posts saying chickens enjoyed the Epsom salt baths, well mine hate them! Thanks for the input
Maybe just something she needs to get used to? I had a chicken that got poopy butt feathers no matter what so I had to give him a bath every week, at first he didn't like it but after a while I'd come out and say bath time and he'd come running

View attachment 2863856
My girl Brownie has bumblefoot on both feet 😢 I got the black scabs off & have been applying vetericyn and prid drawing salve every other day. Also Epsom salt soaks for as long as she can relax in the bath. This is after almost a week of doing this. Does it look better? I think it does but want to make sure. Anything else I should be doing? Thanks in advance. I’d like to not have to do anything super invasive.
My hen has feet that look a lot like this. When I first noticed that she was not walking well, I saw a black spot on each foot. I soaked her feet in warm epsom salt water, which she loved, then picked at the black spots, treated with antibiotic and prid, then wrapped with vet tape. It seems like the same treatment that you are using. I was never able to extract much and the pads look a little swollen and yellowish, like there is something in there. Using a scalpel and a little pressure, I tried to get into it a little more, but got nothing. It has been a week now, with every other day soaks, and wrapping. She walks a little better, but still not normal. I don't want to get too aggressive with the scalpel, so I guess I'll go with diligent care and patience.

Attachments

• Pru1.jpg
    Pru1.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom