Bumblefoot advice....

Mama Farley

Songster
Sep 6, 2018
Cluck Norris has his bumble removed from his foot by a vet yesterday. Hubby says it was awful! Vet wrapped the foot and said to quarantine him for 2 weeks and leave the bandage on for 2 weeks. The poor guy is in the house, in a cage and looking depressed. His only happiness is tomato bits.
Articles I’ve read don’t mention keeping the sick one away from other chickens.
What do you think? I think he would be happier in the coop with the girls! (And the articles say to change the bandage every few days.)
Follow Dr orders or internet advice?

Attachments

• 04FB5D27-402C-4FB8-B425-ABDA6D2232CE.jpeg
    04FB5D27-402C-4FB8-B425-ABDA6D2232CE.jpeg
    520.3 KB · Views: 13
Maybe put him in a crate and put him in the run. I would do this for about a week then put him in with the girls. When in the coop I would change the bandage every day. I wouldn't let him free range. If you could take some pictures of the foot then I can see if he can go out in the coop with the girls.

I think you should use your best judgement on this. Many birds do better with the flock, it's very stressful to be separated. If his foot is wrapped well and will stay clean, and he's well enough to eat and drink and be with the flock and not get picked on, then that is where I would put him. His foot probably is very sore, so he may not be feeling 100% right away, just keep an eye on him. I usually change bandages every other day to make sure the foot is staying clean and dry and no infection is setting in, I've never gone more than 2 or 3 days without changing bandages. How often to check and change bandages very much depends on the individual bird and the wound itself. If it was a very deep removal I would be inclined to check every day until I know it's healing well, then go to every other if possible. Using a nonstick pad, or gauze, and wrapping with co flex bandaging is what I use, and it works very well at keeping the foot clean and protected.

I agree with placing him in a dog crate with his own food and water in the coop or run with his girls. I would check and change the dressing every 2-3 days. Get 2x2 gauze squares, plain Neosporin, and vet wrap or self adherent bandage which can be cut into 1 inch strips. Don’t get it too tight to cut of circulation. Place him on puppy pads or an old clean towel lined in paper towel which can be replaced daily. Here is a video to show you how to replace the dressing:

Last edited:
I don't really understand why your vet told you to keep him separate.
If your chickens are not free range I can't see the advantage of keeping him in a cage either.
If his foot is properly bandaged I would put him back with the rest.
I would change the bandage daily. I'm not a vet though.

Here is a picture. I wasn’t at the vet, my husband was. We agree with changing every couple of days and keeping him with the flock.

Attachments

• A0AA81ED-24C9-4FEE-9B4D-DD21DC3005E4.jpeg
    A0AA81ED-24C9-4FEE-9B4D-DD21DC3005E4.jpeg
    411.8 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom