Bumblefoot and Vet Visit

Nickmr

Chirping
May 18, 2019
My chicken Gertrude had been suffering from Bumblefoot for almost a year. I tried several times during that time to extract the kernel with no luck. Last week I noticed that she started limping for the first time so I tried again to remove the kernel. She stopped walking completely two days later and that’s when I decided it was time to seek the help of a vet. We had an appointment three days ago. The vet took her in the back and I thought she was doing a bumblefoot surgery to remove the infection but it seems she only removed the scab, put antibiotics on it and wrapped it up. We were given some antibiotics (smz suspension) and sent on our way.

Well two days later I removed the wrap and found her bumblefoot in the exact same condition as when I took her in. I’ve included a picture. It is my understanding that the infection must be removed. And that antibiotics alone will not fix this. So do I need to perform the surgery myself and does anyone know if the smz suspension (oral antibiotic) will help her?

She is getting worse and now it’s difficult to get her to eat and drink. And her poops are green. Also the vet told us she had a bit of sour crop but didn’t tell us how to fix it. 😬

Attachments

• 5F449E87-DB30-4337-961D-0C27BA7ABB14.jpeg
    5F449E87-DB30-4337-961D-0C27BA7ABB14.jpeg
    850.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 24635575-8801-4FA5-952E-ACC17C9D1AA5.jpeg
    24635575-8801-4FA5-952E-ACC17C9D1AA5.jpeg
    498 KB · Views: 10
Did you explain to the Vet what you had already done? Can imagine your disappointment with the Vet's treatment. Some members here have attempted "surgery" but I haven't so not any help. The Sour Crop is more important at this point IMO, the green poop maybe due to her not having any nutrition.
Here are some links that may be of some help ....

http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/bumblefoot

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I must not have been clear enough about what I had already done to treat Gertrude. I just assumed she would remove the infection. I won’t assume next time. 😂

Most Vets are "small animal" and not knowledgeable with another than dogs/cats. Some "specialize" as Avian Vets which would be helpful but unfortunately not many are. Then there's there's Vets that specialize in "Large Animals/Livestock".

Rarely can you find a "General Practioner" for a Dr anymore, Dentist here no longer "extract" sending patients to a Dr that does such ... Thinking it may have to do with lawsuits ... Sorry for the rambling.

Back
Top Bottom