Bumblefoot? But can’t find scab?

Tervuren

Songster
Aug 30, 2020
Southern Idaho
My poor little Legbar, Fancy, she’s on an upswing from her crop problems and now she has a foot problem. Her right foot and leg are swollen and warm to the touch. I can’t see a scab, but this appears to be bumblefoot??? I gave her 30 min soak in warm epsom salt water. Not sure what to do at this point? Just keep soaking her foot once a day?

Attachments

• 2237B2FF-367B-4062-B8AE-B9B0668F279C.jpeg
    2237B2FF-367B-4062-B8AE-B9B0668F279C.jpeg
    653.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 5656B858-041D-4800-82A8-A05F2CEB0579.jpeg
    5656B858-041D-4800-82A8-A05F2CEB0579.jpeg
    603.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 4413041A-9AC4-42A0-948E-CA465D1BDA33.jpeg
    4413041A-9AC4-42A0-948E-CA465D1BDA33.jpeg
    324.9 KB · Views: 14
No, it's not bumblefoot which is usually a staph infection of a laceration or bruise on the foot which is easily visible.

Age of chicken is always necessary info. If this chicken is older, it may be gout. Or it could be arthritis. If she's had any respiratory symptoms lately, it could be Mycoplasma synoviae. If she's very young, it could be a sprain.

No, it's not bumblefoot which is usually a staph infection of a laceration or bruise on the foot which is easily visible.

Age of chicken is always necessary info. If this chicken is older, it may be gout. Or it could be arthritis. If she's had any respiratory symptoms lately, it could be Mycoplasma synoviae. If she's very young, it could be a sprain.
Phew, glad it’s not bumblefoot! Fancy is 9 months old. I haven’t seen any respiratory symptoms, but I’ll keep an eye out. Assuming it’s a sprain, should I just leave her outside to heal on her own? She is a very active, sprightly girl, so I could see benefits to bringing her in to prevent more damage. On the other hand it hasn’t even been a month since she recovered from her crop surgery and I put her back outside. I’d feel bad bringing her back in, she was very sulky in the hospital pen, poor dear.

If it's a sprain, she would likely be limping or holding her foot under her belly. Same with arthritis and gout.

If she isn't displaying signs of it being painful, perhaps her legs are merely assymetrical, a benign condition.

She has been holding her foot up to her belly, I haven't noticed limping. With the heat in her foot and leg, a sprain seems to make sense as opposed to benign asymmetry. Given her age arthritis and gout seem unlikely, but I'll keep them in the back of my mind if she doesn't improve.

Thanks Azygous! :)

It's most likely a sprain, then. She may self limit her activity. If she seems very active, then the sprain isn't that serious. Keep an eye on it, though. If the swelling becomes more localized and increases, then something else may be going on.

Her legs/feet look fine to me. If she is still holding her foot up, make sure to check around where her hip joint is to make sure there is no injury there. I had a girl limping and couldn't figure it out for the longest time. I ended up bringing her inside and checking and she had been punctured by her rooster boyfriend where he mounts her and left a hole with his spur. I didn't think she would make it but soaking her in a warm Epsom Salt bath and packing the puncture wound with Neosporin (minus pain relief), multiple times, she finally recovered. (It did take some time for her to heal but she was inside a crate inside for a few weeks and she is now reintroduced into her flock.)

Sorry so long. I have just learned that chicken issues can be so random since they tend to hide their pain. I hope your feather baby is doing better! :)

Back
Top Bottom