Bumblefoot Cure

my goodness you sure have done an amazing job at curing your hen, gosh
I wanted to share a treatment that FINALLY cured my bantam sebright hen of a chronic case of bumblefoot. After 4 bumblefoot surgeries and a month of Baytril, I decided to take Grace to the vet. He instructed me to stop cutting into her and to bandage her with a donut-like splint on the bottom of her foot. I used pipe insulator my husband had and used his drill press with a half inch bit to cut holes in the insulator material. I then used vet wrap to fasten it to the bottom of her foot, with the hole over the infected area. The idea was to relieve the pressure on the infected area. I changed it every 2 to 3 days, as the pipe insulator would become compressed and needed to be replaced. After 6 weeks, the hard mass came to the surface of the foot and could easily be pryed out with no bleeding. I then wrapped for an additional week to be sure all was healed. Thankfully, after 7 long months, Grace is finally healed. Despite my constant web searching, I never found this treatment, which finally cured her. I hope someone finds this treatment helpful, and I
would be happy to provide any pics.

my goodness you are amazing at how you have worked sooo hard and did what ever you had to do & did such a great job at healing your hen grace...!!!
thumbsup.gif
wow my hats off to you....!
highfive.gif
you did a great amazing job....!!!!
woot.gif
right on...!!
yesss.gif
take care have a good one, kindest regards Dianna
frow.gif

Clucktown, I think you have received good advice from you vet. I was thinking of sanding the roosting bars in my first coop, but wrapping them sounds better. I'll try it.

Diannastarr, Wow! It looks like it works. If it does we will have one less thing to worry about!
big_smile.png

How is your Mille Fleur doing? I am sorry for the much delayed response, I haven't logged on in some time. It looks like you wrapped it correctly - it is much harder with the feather footed variety!

Clucktown, I think you have received good advice from you vet. I was thinking of sanding the roosting bars in my first coop, but wrapping them sounds better. I'll try it.

Diannastarr, Wow! It looks like it works. If it does we will have one less thing to worry about!
big_smile.png

In my opinion, bumble foot prevention is more about alleviating the direct pressure on the foot pad than worrying about splinters. My roosts were all smooth, but wrapping the carpeting around them acted like a cushion insert in a shoe. I had several hens with small, dark scabs on their feet, but they have since cleared up after installing the carpet around the roosts.

exactly , wrap the roosts , if carpeting is to hard to keep wrapped tight around the roost in the long run...? maybe try some vet wrap. they sell it at the dollar stores for cheap, or maybe wrap rope around the roosts...? im going to try the vet wrap first, if that is not good in the long run..? im going for the rope glued on with a non toxic glue like a white past glue of some kind..? or hot glue..? but also if using the rope or vet wrap we could now even use pipes or maybe pvc pipes...? for round roosts, people don't use those right now because they are slippery, but if we wrap them that problem is gone, i have been reading that some people use 2x4 as roosts but if they don't shave them down to round & smooth on one side at least.? foot problems can arise..? we are building a hen house at present , and so i have had time to look in to different kinds of roost ideas, and might try the vet wrap first , so time will tell which was the best idea ??? take care all Dianna
frow.gif

I have never had a problem with roosts causing bumblefoot. BUT...I have had a problem with those ramps that have the cross pieces of wood to walk in and out of the chicken house.

When I first got chickens I had one of those ramps. It seems that they were always sliding on them going down. I finally figured out that the RAMP was what was causing foot injury.

So...more than 2 years ago I replaced those ramps. We had some old logs that needed to be burned (not good anymore for a heating fire) and they were various sizes. I set up the logs as steps the the birds just stride right up and down like a stairway. Even the little ones hop easily from step to step.

NO MORE BUMBLEFOOT HERE .

I also use them inside (and outdoors too) for interest/varying heights for places for them to hang out...and a place I can sit too :D

I have never had a problem with roosts causing bumblefoot. BUT...I have had a problem with those ramps that have the cross pieces of wood to walk in and out of the chicken house.

When I first got chickens I had one of those ramps. It seems that they were always sliding on them going down. I finally figured out that the RAMP was what was causing foot injury.

So...more than 2 years ago I replaced those ramps. We had some old logs that needed to be burned (not good anymore for a heating fire) and they were various sizes. I set up the logs as steps the the birds just stride right up and down like a stairway. Even the little ones hop easily from step to step.

I also use them inside (and outdoors too) for interest/varying heights for places for them to hang out...and a place I can sit too :D

WOW I LOVE YOUR LOG STEP IDEA, & I bet your chickens love it to...!! great idea GOOD GOING....!!! : )

I wanted to share a treatment that FINALLY cured my bantam sebright hen of a chronic case of bumblefoot. After 4 bumblefoot surgeries and a month of Baytril, I decided to take Grace to the vet. He instructed me to stop cutting into her and to bandage her with a donut-like splint on the bottom of her foot. I used pipe insulator my husband had and used his drill press with a half inch bit to cut holes in the insulator material. I then used vet wrap to fasten it to the bottom of her foot, with the hole over the infected area. The idea was to relieve the pressure on the infected area. I changed it every 2 to 3 days, as the pipe insulator would become compressed and needed to be replaced. After 6 weeks, the hard mass came to the surface of the foot and could easily be pryed out with no bleeding. I then wrapped for an additional week to be sure all was healed. Thankfully, after 7 long months, Grace is finally healed. Despite my constant web searching, I never found this treatment, which finally cured her. I hope someone finds this treatment helpful, and I
would be happy to provide any pics.

This us hoW my vet treated my hen with bumblefoot. However, for the donut-shaped cushion, she used a fun noodle. You know, the foam noodles used when swimming. She said she learned that trick on vet school. She cut off about 1 inch thick sections and sandwiched between two nonstick gauze pads, then secured with vet wrap. No cutting, no antibiotics. So glad we didn't have to deal with cutting.

exactly , wrap the roosts , if carpeting is to hard to keep wrapped tight around the roost in the long run...? maybe try some vet wrap. they sell it at the dollar stores for cheap, or maybe wrap rope around the roosts...? im going to try the vet wrap first, if that is not good in the long run..? im going for the rope glued on with a non toxic glue like a white past glue of some kind..? or hot glue..? but also if using the rope or vet wrap we could now even use pipes or maybe pvc pipes...? for round roosts, people don't use those right now because they are slippery, but if we wrap them that problem is gone, i have been reading that some people use 2x4 as roosts but if they don't shave them down to round & smooth on one side at least.? foot problems can arise..? we are building a hen house at present , and so i have had time to look in to different kinds of roost ideas, and might try the vet wrap first , so time will tell which was the best idea ??? take care all Dianna
frow.gif
I coated my roosts with Blackjack coating after I sanded - it waterseals and also seals the splinters in. So far, no bumblefoot!

Back
Top Bottom