Bumblefoot-like boil on eyelid, can I remove it at home?

gguineasfamily

Songster
Jan 23, 2013
Brisbane, QLD Australia
Hey guys! My 6yo lavender pied guinea has grown a boil on his eyelid, I think it is similar to what is in bumblefoot. Watched it grow over several months, now it is so big he can't see out of one eye. It has no plug but I'm wondering if it is possible to open it up and remove it like in bumblefoot. It seems close to the surface as he got it through a cut. If I were to cut across the eyebrow area to remove the insides, are there any risks with him losing a lot of blood, or precautions I should take so the bacteria doesn't get into his blood? I think it's definitely big enough to remove the bumble without getting his eye by mistake, because I feared that when it was smaller. If it's a safe operation to do at home, should I ice it first? To make it hurt less? Wash it out with salt and ACV or try dab it with dettol after? I have never done a proper bumblefoot operation, so advice from someone who has, or someone who knows a lot about guineas' heads and where all the veins are would be awesome!

I'll try upload a picture soon. His name is Snowy :)

Thanks!

Hey guys! My 6yo lavender pied guinea has grown a boil on his eyelid, I think it is similar to what is in bumblefoot. Watched it grow over several months, now it is so big he can't see out of one eye. It has no plug but I'm wondering if it is possible to open it up and remove it like in bumblefoot. It seems close to the surface as he got it through a cut. If I were to cut across the eyebrow area to remove the insides, are there any risks with him losing a lot of blood, or precautions I should take so the bacteria doesn't get into his blood? I think it's definitely big enough to remove the bumble without getting his eye by mistake, because I feared that when it was smaller. If it's a safe operation to do at home, should I ice it first? To make it hurt less? Wash it out with salt and ACV or try dab it with dettol after? I have never done a proper bumblefoot operation, so advice from someone who has, or someone who knows a lot about guineas' heads and where all the veins are would be awesome!

I'll try upload a picture soon. His name is Snowy :)

Thanks!
@casportpony

Here he is. Hope these photos are clear enough!
AB73ED62-E503-4D8C-B076-30DBED350702.jpeg
F96FBA21-173D-4D9B-BF9C-7A70B742ABCF.jpeg

I have a one eyed rooster that I've had to remove a mass from his eye socket a couple of times - dried tear gunk.

I've had to cut his eyelid because it got so big and I couldn't squeeze it out. It didn't bleed much. He didn't like it. But he has a cross beak to - so I gotta trim that for him - he's a bit used to the process. It all heals up fine.

And thanks Chickine, that's good to know! He's quite tame, we've washed out his eye lots of times so he's used to that. Does your rooster move his head when it starts hurting?

Yes, he usually kicks when I have to trim his beak. But I tie his legs with a cable tie so he can't get away if he kicks me good. Haha. I recommend wrapping each leg with something soft if you do this because when I did his eye last his legs rubbed together and he lost scale and bruised a bit.

Usually when I do his beak he just wriggles a bit. But when I had to do his eye again he wriggled more this time. I usually have him on his back in my lap. He shook his head but he has a big comb to hold. And I used a razor blade - one of the ones you use in the razors you put together - so it cut quick, but I did have to slice the same spot a few times.

I do it at night so he can sleep it off and his beak is not sore in the morning to eat.

Back
Top Bottom