Bumblefoot-like boil on eyelid, can I remove it at home?

So it's been over a month (oops) but thanks, Chickinie, for that information!

Snowy's been getting over a mild respiratory infection. We caught him early and brought him inside, but it's one of the ones with the swollen eye-sinus area that just persists for ages. Good news, it has brought the swelling in his eye down so we can see about half of his blue eye and he can see out of both sides. I think the swelling that is left is that of the original boil. Still haven't cut it open, honestly scared to give him a blood infection and we've been busy too. Might do a bit more research but while I'm here, does anyone know much about secondary infections and whatnot from these kind of things? Should I give him antibiotics just in case?

And maybe stupid question, but what if I cut his sinus in half or something? (though I do think the sinus runs under the boil from where the swelling was, not sure though). And I'd ideally like to stitch it up properly and get everything out so no re-infection. Not sure how probable that is, imagine we'd have to keep him inside and clean up his poops straight away. But on the plus side, he has been getting very used to the garage when he comes in at night so a post-operation stay doesn't seem unfeasible. But the rate we're going it's likely to be a little while before that happens. In the meantime he is enjoying late autumn with his girls and 1.5 eye vision!

I reckon keep and antibiotic on hand incase, but don't forget you should follow up with a probiotic afterwards if you need to use antibiotics.

I think you would have a hard time stitching up his eyelid, unless you knocked him out! Glueing the wound might be easier, cover it with something so he doesn't scratch at it or rub it. Even just bandaging it somehow it should heal fine, I think, because the skin is stretched a bit from the boil so it is likely to push itself together when it's out - not pull apart.

So it's been over a month (oops) but thanks, Chickinie, for that information!

Snowy's been getting over a mild respiratory infection. We caught him early and brought him inside, but it's one of the ones with the swollen eye-sinus area that just persists for ages. Good news, it has brought the swelling in his eye down so we can see about half of his blue eye and he can see out of both sides. I think the swelling that is left is that of the original boil. Still haven't cut it open, honestly scared to give him a blood infection and we've been busy too. Might do a bit more research but while I'm here, does anyone know much about secondary infections and whatnot from these kind of things? Should I give him antibiotics just in case?

And maybe stupid question, but what if I cut his sinus in half or something? (though I do think the sinus runs under the boil from where the swelling was, not sure though). And I'd ideally like to stitch it up properly and get everything out so no re-infection. Not sure how probable that is, imagine we'd have to keep him inside and clean up his poops straight away. But on the plus side, he has been getting very used to the garage when he comes in at night so a post-operation stay doesn't seem unfeasible. But the rate we're going it's likely to be a little while before that happens. In the meantime he is enjoying late autumn with his girls and 1.5 eye vision!
When you have an infected area, suturing usually fails and promotes infection. I’d leave it open to drain after cleaning it out.

Back
Top Bottom