Bumblefoot, New Ideas on Treatment with pictures

Remarkably, cleansing a wound has become much simpler: “The most effective way to get rid of debris and bacteria without damaging healthy tissue is flushing the wound out with water,” says VanRooyen. Put the wound under a faucet, or spray it with the nozzle on the kitchen sink. Flush it with water to clear it of all debris.
I would not recommend using water as tap water can have bacteria in it that can reinfect the wound. The BEST thing to use is Sterile Saline Solution. Nothing beats that for flushing an open wound on any living creature because it is disinfecting, cleaning, and 100% sterile and natural. No animal or human will ever have a reaction to sterile saline. It is the best thing for cleaning wounds as it serves all purposes and there is no risk of damage to healthy cells or infection. You can even use contact solution or make your own saline sense it is basically glorified salt water. Approx 4 table spoons of salt per quart is what I and my local vet use in a pinch.

I had a horse of mine tear a flap of skin of the back of his flexor tendon. The tendon was exposed and the flap hung down about 2 inches. I cleaned twice daily with Sterile Saline Solution ONLY (no antibiotic or anything like such. Just saline.) and wrapped the wound with a extra large band aid pad so the flap was in place. Despite even my vet saying that he would lose the flap and be left with a permanent large scar I managed to heal it completely without losing any of the flap and you can not see the scar as it is small an covered by above hair. He had no infection, no healthy tissue loss, and no reactions. I will never clean a different way again. You can use antibiotic ointment but I did not use anything but saline on the horse as the lower extremities on equines often develop proud flesh when other things are used. Ointment wont do this to a bird.

This is in reply to the FIRST post. I gave this a "thumbs up" as one of the best approaches to foot bumbles that I've seen here so far. I think the photos are excellent and educational to anyone wondering what the heck are bumbles. I do know that a less invasive procedure such as this far exceeds any "surgery" at home that involves cutting into the foot.

I know we all want whatever is best for our furry, scaly or feathery friends (that includes over 10 species at my farm), so please think twice, think ten times before you cut into a bumble. There are less invasive methods available.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen a lot of questions and discussion here and in other threads on the merits of hydrogen peroxide vs. iodine vs. this or that. I will put up an outline of antiseptics and antibiotics along with when they should be used. Hopefully, it will serve as a handy chart so perhaps an article would be more concise and reach more people than posting it here. If anyone has any questions before I get it written, feel free to contact me.

RE: Russian Chickens use of sterile saline solution --- You are correct in your use of this except on two points. One is that Sterile Saline Solution has NO disinfectant properties. (I am reading the ingredients.) Two is that if you make it yourself, then it's not sterile. You could boil distilled bottled water or tap water then let it cool completely and add salt to use to irrigate a wound. But neither will be 100% sterile unless you store them in a sterile container. Distilled water itself isn't sterile per se it just has impurities removed via distillation.

Glad to hear about your horse. It's a perfect example of how with help an animal's own immune system can heal a wound. It's good he had you!

RE: Haunted --- For the eyes, I would never use ANYTHING but Sterile Saline Solution or ophthalmic ointments. Better safe than sorry.

Bumblefoot in chickens is usually caused from jumping off roosts or can be a result of rough wood on roosts(i sand down all my roosts). Unfortunately sometimes surgery has to be performed on bumblefoot. Definitely try other methods first,but if they do not work then surgery has to be done,otherwise staph infection will spread. Removing the pus can be a challenge due to the fact that it forms a hard core,in other animals it is fluid like.

I used manuka oil on mine. she didnt have the spot but the swelling and heat plus limping. cleared it right up in 3 days :)
Good for you! I have no idea what the Manuka oil is, but if it worked...great!!!! I am for anything that takes the pain and upset out of treating these. Birds have enough to worry about without us picking and prodding.

This morning I found my duck limping and when u checked her foot it looked like bumble foot to me. I've been putting neosporin on it today while reading up on what to do.

Maybe I just missed where you explained this. If so, sorry for the stupid question. But did you soak her foot and then PEEL THE SCAB before applying iodine? Or just apply iodine over and around the scab? Iodine is a great idea. I don't know why I didn't think of it before I saw this.

This morning I found my duck limping and when u checked her foot it looked like bumble foot to me. I've been putting neosporin on it today while reading up on what to do.

Maybe I just missed where you explained this. If so, sorry for the stupid question. But did you soak her foot and then PEEL THE SCAB before applying iodine? Or just apply iodine over and around the scab? Iodine is a great idea. I don't know why I didn't think of it before I saw this.

The first time I found the bumbles, I put the bird into the tub to clean and soak. I gave her a good while in there as she was enjoying herself and i was in the middle of things here. There was no time to do anything for her foot that day as I already knew that I would have to cut it out, so I painted her with decolorized iodine and put her into a dog crate I had set up for her. I did not peel the scab that first day.

Back
Top Bottom