Bumblefoot, New Ideas on Treatment with pictures

How has everyone here wrapped their ducks feet? with the weebing it would make it rather difficult IMO. I have wrapped my boys feet once so far, but i didn't like that it pushed the toes together. He could still walk on it though. Either way, i'm always interested to know.

I have several chickens with bumblefoot. Some just have the swollen top between the toes and I've lanced those areas and nothing is coming out. Suggestions? Would penicillin shots help?

I had 2 chickens with bumble and both times after soaking in Epsom salt water and peeling off the scabs there was nothing but a hole where the scab was. You might want to try just using the Epsom salt water half cup to half gallon of warm water soak both feet [easier] and keep them from drinking the water it is a laxative also. then after soaking and drying apply clear iodine It's not a fast fix like a day or 2 but if you keep at it does heal. Also using the Penicillin may help if nothing else does and the bumble is huge and spreading.

I know this is an old thread but hoping someone can help. I have 2 pekin ducks that have swollen leg and foot joints, could not see any bumble sores or scabs. Both are lining pretty bad. I've been giving them extra niacin for 2 days until I could get to town for supplies to treat them. I'm pretty new at this so really unsure of myself. If I give them a good Epsom soak in the morning and still don't see any scabs, where would I put the iodine? Just paint it all over the swollen areas? I also bought long acting penicillin, should I give them injections of this as well? If so, how much and how often? Tia!

I know this is an old thread but hoping someone can help. I have 2 pekin ducks that have swollen leg and foot joints, could not see any bumble sores or scabs. Both are lining pretty bad. I've been giving them extra niacin for 2 days until I could get to town for supplies to treat them. I'm pretty new at this so really unsure of myself. If I give them a good Epsom soak in the morning and still don't see any scabs, where would I put the iodine? Just paint it all over the swollen areas? I also bought long acting penicillin, should I give them injections of this as well? If so, how much and how often? Tia!

You should see the sores for bumble foot as far as I know. I've treated many a foot for it. But I guess it could be festering before it breaks the surface, not sure tho. Hopefully someone else will answer that knows. My ducks tend to hurt their feet/legs too due to the holes they root in their yard. Sometimes I've put them in a cage for a few days to limit their movement and they get better. One gal kept re-breaking her leg and I had to put her down. It was just getting too much for her and me. So they may have just strained/sprained their leg.

Last edited:
Then it might not be 'bumblefoot', which is a funny/colloquial name for an infected wound on the foot. Swollen joints could be some other ailment, like possibly gout.
It would be best to start a new thread with pics of the birds feet showing the swelling,
and details asked for here.

Hello, friends! I randomly decided to check my duck feets and found a bumble on my sweetest girl (thank goodness as the other girls are much harder to handle). It looks like a very typical bumble, no heat and is not causing her pain yet. So, I've been irrigating it with veticeryn and massaging Neosporin into it and the top of the foot every morning and then soaking in Epsom salt bath for 10-15 minutes followed by the spray & ointment, every night. It's been a little over 2 weeks now and there is absolutely no difference except that maybe the scab is pulling away from the skin on one side (but not coming off yet). I always try to really spray & press ointment extra in there now. I was starting to think I might have to cut which I'm trying to avoid but now am reading that this is normal to take a long time to treat? Anyway, I'm now seeing all this colorless iodine talk and plan on trying this out as it sounds really promising. My one question that I don't see addressed yet is: in between the iodine treatments, are you still soaking too? Or are you leaving it completely alone for days at a time?

Bumblefoot sucks!!!!! I'm just so glad I found it early.

As always, thank you in advance for your advice and support :)

~Marie

You can treat everyday with soaks and iodine till the scab will pull up easily or you can skip a day in between depends on how fast you want to take care of it and how bad it is. Good yours is not bad you'll be able to get a handle on it pretty quick if you'll do this daily till the scab pulls off with out bring fresh skin with it.

You can treat everyday with soaks and iodine till the scab will pull up easily or you can skip a day in between depends on how fast you want to take care of it and how bad it is. Good yours is not bad you'll be able to get a handle on it pretty quick if you'll do this daily till the scab pulls off with out bring fresh skin with it.
Thank you! I definitely would rather knock it out but it's good to know that if I need to skip a day for any reason it won't set me back either (just drag it out). I'm getting this iodine on my way home today!

Back
Top Bottom