Bumblefoot or Leg Injury?

Queensilkie

Songster
5 Years
Jan 22, 2016
WA
I posted a few weeks ago about a Brahma pullet I have, who suddenly developed a limp that slowly got worse. I thoroughly checked for signs of bumblefoot, and didn't see anything alarming, so I assumed she had landed wrong and broken or sprained something. I give her half a baby aspirin every morning, and she's still eating and drinking. I have her in a small pen of her own, so she can't tire herself.
However she doesn't seem to be getting any better. She holds her leg out behind her and 'hops' around. She has started panting excessively, although I've made sure she's hydrated. I cleaned her feet and did notice some slight redness, only on the pad of her injured foot.
Looked like a bit of a red flag for bumblefoot, so I slathered some honey on it (anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory), and wrapped it up.
Just wondering if the sign are more pointing to early bumblefoot? Or is it most likely just an injury? And if so, how can I further help her heal?

Thank you for reading, have a good afternoon.

I would keep doing what your doing. I'm assuming you can't take her to the vet. You could try to let get soak in an epsom salt bath.
The "holding her leg behind her" sounds like she slipped a tendon.
Giving her vitamin/ mineral supplement could help. Adding Manganese, Choline, and vitamin B7 (biotin) and other B vitamins to get water could also be beneficial.

Yes, sadly taking her to the vet is not an option as of now.
I've heard about doing the epsom salt, good to have it seconded. Will definitely do that tomorrow.
So I have also read that the tendons could be the problem, and that soaking for short periods in cold water can help? I'm not sure the point of that, i assume reducing inflammation?
Is there specific treatment for slipped tendons?

Here is a pic from the Chicken Health Handbook.
20180713_224730.jpg

She's only recently 4 months old, but bigger than even my full-sized hens. (Braham growth).

Okay, that makes a lot of sense. She seems to have a very hard time even bending her leg. I'll look into vitamins for her.
So it says no reversal of deformity, is it likely she'll stay like this?

Thats what the book says, but chickens are amazing animals that can bounce back from alot of injuries and diseases. Anything is possible.
If she starts showing other syptoms let us know.

Back
Top Bottom