Bumblefoot treatments!... duck is limping!

It got bad enough today that she wasnt walking. barely ate or drank water becuase she coudlnt reach it. moved it closer and she still woudlnt get up. so my mom and i took on the task of lancing the bumble and squeezing out as much of the infection as we could. but it still looks like this on top. does that mean theres still stuff inside? we squeezed and pressed as much as we could and nothing more came out. we have her foot wrapped up now and she's resting.

@DuckyMama92 , you might want to read this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1066081/duck-with-bumblefoot-warning-viewer-discretion-is-advised
Quote:
Pictures by BYC's DiamondSwan

Source: http://hari.ca/avian-care/health-monitoring/symptoms-treatment-bumblefoot-parrots/

-Kathy

Last edited:
Omg. So we may have to cut the top of her foot too?? We havent used the iodine yet. She has a black scab on the spot we cut on the pad of her foot.

Is it safe to assume we should peel off the scab, squeeze some yuck out and bandage every few days?

Omg. So we may have to cut the top of her foot too?? We havent used the iodine yet. She has a black scab on the spot we cut on the pad of her foot.

Is it safe to assume we should peel off the scab, squeeze some yuck out and bandage every few days?
I suspect that there is still pus in there. Any chance you can can get her to a vet?

-Kathy

I'm just worried about the cost for surgery on her foot.... and possibly getting in trouble for tyring to do it myself. But I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I'm just worried about the cost for surgery on her foot.... and possibly getting in trouble for tyring to do it myself. But I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Any trip to the vet will not be cheap, I know. I have no medical training, so it's not for me to say whether or not you should cut, that's up to you. Try googling "bumblefoot avian medicine" and "pododermatitis avian medicine" and see what else you can learn. If it were my duck I would get all the pus out, but I have all the stuff to clean, wrap and medicate on hand. I also have other pets that have been to the vet for similar procedures, so I'm somewhat familiar with how to properly clean, cut, drain/remove pus, wrap, etc.

The spot on top... is there a spot that's softer? If so, that's where you want to cut. Think of it like a pimple where the pus from a pimple always want to come through the skin where the skin is the softest. Make sense?

Note that I am not suggesting that you cut. Please do more research on proper cleaning, wrapping and lancing techniques before you try this.

-Kathy

My parents and I are reading tons of articles and watching videos. I have vetrap, gauze, betadine, vetericyn, neosporin, and scalpels.

We decided to go back in. We got some more gunk out and made a small cut on the top of her foot in an attempt to drain what was on top too but that wasnt successful. She was in a lot of pain and starting to breathe too hard so we stopped and wrapped it up. We'll let another scab form and hopefully soaks and some vetericyn twice a day will be enough to get rid of the nastiness. Probably going to make an appointment with the vet, though it probably won't be scheduled until a week or so from now like last time. Meanwhile we'll do what we can to keep her comfortable.

That happened to my poor baby and i started off doing the exact thing as you are doing with the soaking and wrap it up if your duck is going outside. I never squeezed anything out of it or anything because she was in pain. Another thing i did was i injected cleocin (clindamycin) right into the spot and she ended up healing quicker than i thought she would. You will have to talk to your vet to see if they will give you that antibiotic.

That happened to my poor baby and i started off doing the exact thing as you are doing with the soaking and wrap it up if your duck is going outside. I never squeezed anything out of it or anything because she was in pain. Another thing i did was i injected cleocin (clindamycin) right into the spot and she ended up healing quicker than i thought she would. You will have to talk to your vet to see if they will give you that antibiotic.

We made an appointment with the closest exotics/avian vet. Unfortunately since she's the closest, she has lots of patients and can't see us until next week. Unfortunately I don't have time or money to be able to go in as an emergency. In the meantime we'll be soaking and vetericyn-ing her foot. She is eating and drinking water though, pooping normal. So at least it hasn't gotten tooooooo too serious. I hope it stays that way!

Back
Top Bottom