Bumblefoot with no scab

bantamb8

Hatching
Aug 25, 2021
Hi everyone,
I have a Belgian bantam hen who has a recurring case of bumblefoot - which I treat with a foot soak, scab removal, antibiotic ointment and a foot dressing. A few times now in the past 3 years, it has healed completely and then maybe a few months later a new scab returns in a different spot on her foot pad. None of my other hens have had this issue, she seems to have very soft feet compared to the others, which I guess makes her more prone to wounds and injury.

What worries me now is that one of her foot pads is quite swollen as it would be in a typical bumblefoot case, however there is no scab at all. Over the past month I've done the usual soak/ointment/wrap treatment but really seen no change. She's been very happy and walking/scratching with the foot as normal so I'm guessing there's no pain - it doesn't look particularly red/inflamed in any area, just puffy compared to her other foot pad.

I'm wondering - could there still be an infection in the foot without a scab / does the foot sometimes stay swollen after the infection goes away / should I keep treating the foot every few days?

Thank you!

Hi everyone,
I have a Belgian bantam hen who has a recurring case of bumblefoot - which I treat with a foot soak, scab removal, antibiotic ointment and a foot dressing. A few times now in the past 3 years, it has healed completely and then maybe a few months later a new scab returns in a different spot on her foot pad. None of my other hens have had this issue, she seems to have very soft feet compared to the others, which I guess makes her more prone to wounds and injury.

What worries me now is that one of her foot pads is quite swollen as it would be in a typical bumblefoot case, however there is no scab at all. Over the past month I've done the usual soak/ointment/wrap treatment but really seen no change. She's been very happy and walking/scratching with the foot as normal so I'm guessing there's no pain - it doesn't look particularly red/inflamed in any area, just puffy compared to her other foot pad.

I'm wondering - could there still be an infection in the foot without a scab / does the foot sometimes stay swollen after the infection goes away / should I keep treating the foot every few days?

Thank you!
No more soaking etc. use PRID salve which you can get from Amazon for about $7. Works in a few days.

Hi everyone,

Thank you!
Try PRID salve from Amazon for $7 took care of bumblefoot in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom