Bumblefoot?

Can she die from it?

I mean if it's not treated the infection in her foot can spread through her body over time which I suppose could result in death. But that's pretty extreme. If you treat it and it starts to get better she'll be fine otherwise take her to the vet and they'll drain it and give her antibiotics and an anti- inflammatory

I mean if it's not treated the infection in her foot can spread through her body over time which I suppose could result in death. But that's pretty extreme. If you treat it and it starts to get better she'll be fine otherwise take her to the vet and they'll drain it and give her antibiotics and an anti- inflammatory
Thanks

I was able to cure a case of bumblefoot in a couple of my chickens by soaking every night in Tri-cide Neo. It is a powder made for use in aquariums but it works for this infection. I would put just enough of the solution in a dishtub to cover her feet and then sit with the chicken in the tub on my lap for about 8 minutes. After drying the foot and removing any pieces that were loosened, I would bandage the foot before putting her back with the flock. She would lay happily upside down in my lap, wrapped up in a towel with her head covered. I made a small donut out of thin styrofoam padding by cutting it small enough to cover the pad of the foot and punching a hole in the spot where the scab lay. That way the hen could put weight on the foot without pressing so much on the sore spot. It also allowed the core of the infection to begin to drop out of the foot.i covered that with Neosporin and a non-stick piece of gauze, then wrapped around the foot and between the toes with vetwrap to hold it all on. It took many weeks of doing this nightly but it was painless for both of us, albeit comical at times!
You can order the tri-cide Neo powder online.

Back
Top Bottom