Bumblefoot?

GreenGables

Songster
12 Years
Feb 25, 2011
MA
I noticed that my 3 year old RR had a swollen toe. The swelling was under the toe but extended approximately 3/8" to 1/2" to the side. I also noticed a white lump on the top of the swelled area. Tonight I opened it up and pus did come out. I removed the white bump and dug a bit further making sure all of the infected area was out. Her back toe, on the same leg, had a yellow area under it. It looked like a little corn kernel. I opened this area up and took it out. While the areas were opened I continually washed out with Hydrogen Peroxide and before closing her up I placed an antibiotic cream on a little piece of gauze and placed it in the wound then wrapped the toes. Would pus have come out of the back toe if it was infected? Did I do the right things? Is the tissue a hard white that is under the skin of the toes? If anyone has any information they can offer I would greatly appreciate it. I thought bumblefoot only affected the pad of the foot. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures because I didn't feel I could work on her properly and take pictures too.

Nope...although it's often on the pad, I've cut it out on top and between the toes from the top. Interestingly, I've never seen actual pus come out - but have had the kernels. I'm guessing that meant, on mine, the pus had already hardened into all the kernels I removed. Sounds to me like you did a fine job. But just in case, here's my resource! http://successwithpoultry.blogspot.com/2009/09/bumblefoot-chicken.html

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your reply klmclain. I awoke just now (2:00am) thinking I maybe should have stitched the area closed. It is a good size hole. I appreciate your response. I glanced at the place you directed me to look and I will watch the video in the morning. Thank you again.

Last edited:
When I did the surgery I put a thick layer of gauze with antiseptic ointment on my hens back toe and it's bled through everything overnight. I'm going to unwrap her whole foot this morning and put new gauze with more antiseptic ointment. Any advice???

Last edited:
I just opened the bandages and took some pictures. Is there suppose to be whitish tissue inside the foot? Does anyone know? I took a bit of that tissue out, put some more antibiotic ointment in the wound, and bandaged her up again. Any advise? I made her some oatmeal and she is nibbling on it but hasn't drank any water yet today.

Last edited:
Nope...although it's often on the pad, I've cut it out on top and between the toes from the top. Interestingly, I've never seen actual pus come out - but have had the kernels. I'm guessing that meant, on mine, the pus had already hardened into all the kernels I removed. Sounds to me like you did a fine job. But just in case, here's my resource! http://successwithpoultry.blogspot.com/2009/09/bumblefoot-chicken.html
I'm hoping she heals well and then I will soak her feet daily for a few days in Epsom Salts as the video suggested.

I can't tell you for sure on the whiteish tissue... but everything I removed on my girl was a yellowish color. Scientific eh?
hu.gif
Mine had a huge opening (a BIG X) on the pad, but the bleeding stopped quickly. I did not suture and everything looks great now - it's been about 8 weeks. You probably just hit a bigger artery/vein than I did. Re: the epsom soaks...my husband didn't think they were such a good idea because it was re-wetting the area and making it soft - but I think the salt helps to pull out the infection and I re-applied globs of neosporin and new bandages after each time. Oh.. one other thing I did - after surgery, and when changing the bandage - I sprayed the whole foot with blukote before applying neosporing. I love that stuff. I probably should buy the "industrial" size!
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom