Bumblefoot?

poppy

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Buckinghamshire, England
Can anyone tell me what bumblefoot looks like in chickens? I acquired a couple of new ones (not sure what breed they are but they are white and quite heavy) a couple of weeks ago and one has gone lame. When I looked at the bottom of her feet they have a black crusty deposit on them. I tried washing it off but no luck. Not sure what to try now.

Last edited:
Here are a few threads on it...if you are not acquainted with the type of treatment measures described then I suggest you go to a vet ... this will not clear up on its own and in most cases there is an abscess requiring excision... Diana
http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=diseasecasestudies&action=display&num=1159620742

http://p072.ezboard.com/fbackyardchickensfrm4.showMessage?topicID=4573.topic
this is what can happen when home treatmentment measures are ineffective and bumblefoot is also complicated with scalylegmite

Several people have successfully treated a chicken with bumblefoot (including my sister). Unless you have a mild case--successes have typically involved lots of time (over a month of daily care), antibiotics (from a vet), and a lot of help from BYC'ers.

If you can, get a picture of her foot, in the mean time, separate her from the flock and put her in a clean environment. Lots of folks here to talk you through it....Vet is highly recommended and will help your chances of success tremendously.

Sandra

Thanks for your replies. Once I knew I was dealing with what is virtually an abscess I had a good idea of what I needed to do. I have removed the scab, opened the abscess and cleaned it out, applied Neosporin and dressed the wound. I have ordered some anti-biotic for her drinking water. If anyone has any suggestions as what to feed her or anything else I can do to aid her recovery I would love to hear. Thanks again!

Thanks for the info. I have noticed that the other bird bought at the same time has what appears to be the same black scabs on both of her feet although her walking is normal and there is no swelling on either foot. Should I try to remove the scabs or leave them alone unless their seems to be a problem?

Back
Top Bottom