But can my chickens eat this?

Dlm2plus

Chirping
Jun 26, 2022
My girls are 11 week old bantams and they are slowly braving more and more of my yard. Today they found my grancy grey beard tree which is fruiting. They are a few that were on the ground and really seemed to like it. Has anyone ever had their Chickens eat these? My research says they are not edible for humans but birds, squirrels and wild rabbits love them so hoping my girls know what's good to eat.

I've never heard of the that tree before. If it's saying birds can eat them, then it might be fine. I've also heard this that chickens (in the right natural situation) should be able to determine if something is safe to eat or not. I wouldn't always trust the chickens judgement in all situations, especially around known dangerous things, though this one I might trust because they discovered it on their own, in the right natural situation. If it's a big concern, you can fence off the area so they can't get in. Then watch your bird's health for a few days to make sure they're ok because they ate some. I think they'll be fine. :)

I've never heard of the that tree before. If it's saying birds can eat them, then it might be fine. I've also heard this that chickens (in the right natural situation) should be able to determine if something is safe to eat or not. I wouldn't always trust the chickens judgement in all situations, especially around known dangerous things, though this one I might trust because they discovered it on their own, in the right natural situation. If it's a big concern, you can fence off the area so they can't get in. Then watch your bird's health for a few days to make sure they're ok because they ate some. I think they'll be fine. :)
Thanks, it's a tree native to the southeast (Georgia & south Carolina). The girls are all fine today so thinking I'm good.

Back
Top Bottom