Butchered Rangers - pictures

HillCountryMomma

Songster
11 Years
Mar 16, 2008
My husband and I butchered 8 of our 43 Freedom Rangers today at 10.5 weeks old. I noticed that the biggest birds really hadn't gained much if any size in the last week so I figured it was time. I'm going to give the remaining birds another week to see if they'll fill out a little more.

I has wanted just the biggest roos... ended up with a couple of the bigger ones and a few of the more average sized. The biggest roos ran to the back of the tractor and I didn't want to duck waddle in after them (it's low). I also grabbed a pullet just to see how she'd dress out. I have a lot of pullets (50%+) and they are all much smaller looking than the roos

Anyway, we got all 8 done and brought them in to weigh.I had two that weighed in spot on at 5 lbs. Two that were 4 lbs 4 oz and the remaining 4 were all right about 4.5 lbs. The thing that shocked me is that the little bitty pullet ended up with a dressed weight right up there with the roos! Looking at her alive I thought for sure she'd only be about 3 lbs dressed. Nope! Over 4! She has a prettier, rounder conformation as well. Unfortunately, she had tons of immature feathers and it was miserable trying to pluck her so I ended up just skinning her and cutting her into pieces. If all the pullets dress like her then I have a whole bunch of 4+lb birds out there. Yea!

All the birds are 'resting' in the fridge now awaiting being vacuum sealed and sent to the deep freezer.

Here is a picture of a 5lb roo on the scales (notice the big thighs/legs but not much breast. All of them dressed like that. The pullet was more proportionate but still didn't have a huge breast):

5lbranger.jpg

Here are 4 of the other roos, the ones on the ends were bigger. The one in the way back was 5 lbs, the one in the front was just under.

5n4rangers.jpg

I'm very pleased with the birds we butchered today. Of course, the final test is when we eat them! My opinion of the Rangers would be overall better if all the birds were uniformly this size right now (or better yet a week ago). Sadly, some are quite a bit smaller. I would guess truly in the 3 lb range. Just not big enough to make it worth the effort for me, hence waiting another week on them. Their growth has not been very uniform.

It seems as if the birds hit a growth spurt at the end (7/8 weeks) with some getting huge and other not. Then the biggest just kinda bottomed out and stopped any real noticable growth (I wasn't weighing, so they very well may have put on weight that I just don't see). I don't know if I'll get much growth out of the remaining Rangers, but here's hoping!

Liz

Congrats!!! Those are beautiful!!! The breasts don't look big from the outside, but wait until you cut down into it - they are very deep. I thought the same thing about my Rangers but was pleasantly surprised. I know what you mean about the feathers though. While most were relatively easy to pluck, others took pliers!!!

Those look really good. Nice job processing. I hope someday my processed birds
look that good. (Now they sorta look like a naked chicken that was hit by a car).

We have our Red Bros (Rangers) coming next week along with an equal number
of Cornish Crosses. I don't expect the rangers to be nearly as big as the Cornish
but I do look forward to them picking bugs and running around the woods next to
my house.

Considering we are used to 16 week, 2 lb, standard roos, this should be a real treat.

Let us know how they taste.

We butchered out our cornish roasters at 8wks. I'm glad we didn't wait any longer. The heat hit, and we would've lost a bunch of them. This one we rotisseried yesterday, and it was great. We're raising up a batch of Partidge Rocks now, it'll be interesting to see the difference! I know the P.Rocks sure poo less and move more.

DSCF0001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom