Butternut Squash

i cut them in half.. scoop out the seeds and spray tinfoil lined baking sheet with pam.. roast cut side down till tender.. when done flip over.. serve with maple syrup and butter.. yummy

Last edited:
Quote:
I do that! Except i cook them cut side up and cook the butter and maple syrup and brown sugar right in the squash itself...yummy!
droolin.gif

We grew butternut squash for the 1st time this year too and I cooked it for the 1st time tonight... it was goooood
big_smile.png

003-5.jpg

I preheated the oven to 400, sliced and scooped out the seeds, sprayed a baking sheet, sprinkled salt and pepper on em, layed skin side up and baked for 1 hour... when they where done put some butter on em and brown sugar
droolin.gif

Last edited:
I'm also a simple butter-nutter. Roasted with olive oil salt and pepper, that's it. The leftovers I puree, stir in a little chicken stock and cream then gently heat for a nice soup. I top this with crushed nuts or cheese. Some crumbled bacon or sausage would be nice, too.

Season with nutmeg for a sweetish taste or maybe fennel or rosemary for some astringency. Garnish with parsley.

Winter squash is also good "mashed." Roast them, and do as with mashed potatoes.

This year I tinkered with acorn squash. Smaller than butternut, they are somewhat sweeter. Both keep well if you leave 2-3 inches of stem, which you cover with paraffin, shortening or even varnish. Then hang them by the stem in a cool, dark spot and they will store for months.

My favorite veggie. It doesn't get quicker and easier than this, no peeling.

I always cut them lengthwise in half and scoop the seeds out with a spoon. Then put them cut side down in a glass baking dish and put about an 1/2 inch water in the dish. Cover tight with plastic wrap and pop them into the microwave for 20 minutes.

They cook so tender that way and can never over cook them. Put them on a plate with a little butter and cinnamon and brown sugar.
tongue.png

making me hungry just thinking about it.

Back
Top Bottom