Button + japanese quail incubation

Skyle

Fluffy feathered feet addicted
Premium Feather Member
Apr 11, 2020
Between Italy and Slovenia
Hi everyone, today I'd like to start incubating my first button quail eggs along with some japanese ones, which I'd already incubated (they were supermarket eggs).
I'd like to have just some advices about the button eggs.
1) I found different percentages on humidity, for chickens I use 45% and 65% on lockdown (used the same for the japaneses), is it good for the buttons or they need a bit more humidity?
2) I read that japanese quails can take 16 (so like buttons) to 18 days to hatch (mine hatched from early day 17 to day 18), so should I put the japanese eggs 2 days before the others or all together (and in case the japanese will hatch 2 days later)?
3) I have a Borotto Lumia 16 incubator, which has the water for humidity placed on the bottom, so the hatch plate must have holes to allow the humidity to reach the eggs. I feel these holes are too big for baby buttons though, should I put something with very tiny holes or is it ok?
JPEG_20210605_171431_3880867820493931234.jpg

4) I used a heating plate for the japaneses and worked well, but I read that buttons can't use them. My heating plates can be placed at a minimun height of 3cm (1.18 inches), should I buy a lamp just in case?
Thank you all in advance:hugs

Sorry for a late reply. Didn't check my account yesterday. :p

1) I have always used %50 on buttons and %70 during lockdown, so as long as that works for the Japanese then that part should be fine.'

2) My buttons always hatch on day 17 and some as late as 18, so it should be fine for that too.

3) I would cover some of the holes with paper towel. But also leave others open. 1 cm is not something they can easily l=slip through just make sure they have other more solid ground to stand on

4) personally, I'd stick with just a lamp.

I have known a quail breeder who brooded and incubated these two types of quail together. Just keep an eye out for aggression.

Good luck. :fl

Seeing both sizes running around together would be sooo cute!

Sorry for a late reply. Didn't check my account yesterday. :p

1) I have always used %50 on buttons and %70 during lockdown, so as long as that works for the Japanese then that part should be fine.'

2) My buttons always hatch on day 17 and some as late as 18, so it should be fine for that too.

3) I would cover some of the holes with paper towel. But also leave others open. 1 cm is not something they can easily l=slip through just make sure they have other more solid ground to stand on

4) personally, I'd stick with just a lamp.

I have known a quail breeder who brooded and incubated these two types of quail together. Just keep an eye out for aggression.

Good luck. :fl

Seeing both sizes running around together would be sooo cute!
Thank you so much for the reply! I'll do as you advised me, thank you again:D:jumpy

Update:
Unfortunately none of the button quail eggs were fertile (I guess that they just gave me an old male:hmm).
At least the japanese eggs were almost all fertile:yesss:
Unfortunately some days ago the power strip socket (on which the incubator and the humidifier were collegated) passed out and blew the electicity in the whole house:idunno. I was sleeping and I realized what happened only when none of the irons I tried using were working (yes, I'm a disaster:lau)
But well, here we are, one pipped just now and some are rolling a bit so I guess it's not that bad.:fl

Back
Top Bottom