Button quail egg please help !

I did write "way to get it", as I am aware the vitamin is not exactly in the sunlight, but I found the finer details unnecessary
big_smile.png

I believe I read something about some gland that produces whatever, which the birds spread on their feathers when preening and then ingests later when the UV light has done something to it, and then it is turned into vitamin D3 in the gut.. Or something like that, don't feel like reading it again. And it might have been about parrots, not quail, but I guess it is something similar for quail
tongue.png

Turns out quail actually get vitamin D3 the same way we do, produced by the skin under the influence of UV light. Since layers don't usually get ideal lighting, gamebird feed is supplemented with vitamin D because of that.

Last edited:
We recently brought a female quail to accompany our male one. When the female started laying she dotted her eggs randomly about the house and showed no interest in them so if the quail are being protective over the egg then she may be thinking of going broody. However my quail were golden giants so they may act differently to Button quail!

We recently brought a female quail to accompany our male one. When the female started laying she dotted her eggs randomly about the house and showed no interest in them so if the quail are being protective over the egg then she may be thinking of going broody. However my quail were golden giants so they may act differently to Button quail!
Do you mean she scattered them about? That's what my female (button quail) did to her eggs and once she had about 7 eggs she gathered them in a clutch inside of her nest and started sitting on them.

Also just so you guys know, male buttons also sit on the eggs and care for the chicks. My male sat on the eggs and cared for the eggs alone, the female had nothing to do with them for some reason.

I've heard others saying their male button helped with the incubation, though I've never heard of a male that incubated them alone
big_smile.png

My male doesn't help before the chicks hatch - at least on of my hens start chirping aggressively, clearly telling him to get lost, if he gets withing 50 cm of her nest. He might just stay away from the nest of the other hen(I have 2 hens incubating eggs right now) because he expects to be as unwelcome there as he is by the chirping one..

This may explain why she's nearly always in the nest and he's practically always out xD

Back
Top Bottom