button quail egg problem...??

OpalRaven7

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Poughkeepsie
I have read that button quails lay 8-12 eggs/clutch. one of my single females (she used to be with a male but he didnt really like her so know he is with a differant female and she is by her self) as of earlier today was up to 14 eggs!!! She is not sitting on them, just laying them in one pile.... Is this normal? should I be worried for her health, I am still trying to figure out ways to get them extra calcium, the oyster shells are just to big for them...

sunsclutch14.jpg

I would take out those eggs and use them for something. You can make the room darker (change the lighting a bit) to make her stop laying but that's a lot of eggs!

well I thought if she had a good sized clutch in her cage she would stop laying eventually... I guess I will try taking them out.

Of course as soon as I decide to take her eggs out right before I go take them she decides she wants to sit on them lol Guess Ill be waiting a little longer before I take them
pop.gif

I've had buttons lay a bunch too. I had nests with 20 some I think, just from one female. They'd sometimes sit on them for a while and then get bored.

Back
Top Bottom