romybuttonquail

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2023
I took out her first ten eggs to give to someone else. I didn't want to hatch them bcuz they looked small. My button quail first laid two eggs after that. They are both next to each other in the cage. I didn't see anymore days following that so I assumed she was done laying. However, I checked the nesting box (its a rabbit hutch so its a really big one fit for a rabbit) and i noticed she laid 3 in the same spot. To be clear, FIRST 2 eggs in one spot outside of the box, and 3 eggs in one spot inside the box. So total 5 eggs. Was wondering if that means she might be broody, since shes beginning to lay them in one spot. Also, when will she start sitting on them? Like how many eggs? Does she stop laying eggs once she's sitting on them? Irrelevant question but: Why is my male chasing her randomly. He doesn't hurt her, but it's like they're playing tag. I thought it was to mate, but they dont end up doing it. Is it just for fun? Here's a picture of 3 eggs INSIDE BOX in question, the two eggs OUTSIDE of box, and a picture of their enclosure. The white button is a male, female is hiding.

Attachments

• 6483DD96-9916-41A6-8191-4E76F9B9B795.jpeg
    6483DD96-9916-41A6-8191-4E76F9B9B795.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 18
The male chasing the female might be them in a confusing courtship. Also you should check the female for what is called a brood patch, check the make too as it is a patch of bare skin on the lower chest and in-between the legs a bird uses to get skin to egg contact for better brooding of the eggs. Male will sometimes also take part in brooding as well.

The male chasing the female might be them in a confusing courtship. Also you should check the female for what is called a brood patch, check the make too as it is a patch of bare skin on the lower chest and in-between the legs a bird uses to get skin to egg contact for better brooding of the eggs. Male will sometimes also take part in brooding as well.
welp it looks like my female has given up on brooding lol, saw her cuddling w him to sleep

Back
Top Bottom