Button Quail Lost Foot - Urgent

buttonbrigade

Hatching
Mar 22, 2022
Hi all, my sweet blue button quail managed to escape his cage and walk into a rat trap this evening. When I found him his foot was nearly fully severed, hanging by a tendon. Seeing as the bone was fully severed, I felt I could either amputate or cull now. This guy is an absolutely stunning wild blue guy and I really want to give him a chance. He’s also quite young - about 10 or 11 weeks.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) - Button Quail, male, about 11 weeks
2) What is the behavior, exactly. - lost his foot
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? A few hours
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. - The scene where I found him was quite bloody. He wasn’t bleeding much by the time I picked him up and there wasn’t much bleeding at removal either.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. - caught in rat trap, foot severed.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. - he’s in a hospital pod with regular crumble and water with sav a chik, but I haven’t seen him consume any.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. - n/a so far
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? - removed severed foot, bandaged with plain neosporin. He has just slipped out of the dressing and I will need to redo it
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? - We’re so light on vets here that I had to drive two hours to have my dog seen a few weeks ago so realistically I’ll need to treat this myself. However I’m not sure if I need antibiotics and if so, what kind and dosage.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use - pine shavings

Basically I’m wondering if this could be survivable or if I’m just prolonging his pain. If it is survivable, do I need antibiotics or additional treatment beyond fresh dressings?

Attachments

• 299AEA04-DA59-44B9-A9C9-AA5D9B41E7E9.jpeg
    299AEA04-DA59-44B9-A9C9-AA5D9B41E7E9.jpeg
    394.6 KB · Views: 35
I wonder if you could amputate? I just don't have the medical knowledge to advise.

My avatar name is based on a button quail I had that was injured right after hatching. The mother successfully hatched them and this little guy was the first to hatch (before I awoke). The papa quail was trying to trample the hatchlings so I moved him out of the cage but the damage was already done to the one little guy. His foot was injured but he managed to learn to walk about clumsily. He seemed a happy little guy and lived out his life with the gimpy walk.

Hi all, my sweet blue button quail managed to escape his cage and walk into a rat trap this evening. When I found him his foot was nearly fully severed, hanging by a tendon. Seeing as the bone was fully severed, I felt I could either amputate or cull now. This guy is an absolutely stunning wild blue guy and I really want to give him a chance. He’s also quite young - about 10 or 11 weeks.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) - Button Quail, male, about 11 weeks
2) What is the behavior, exactly. - lost his foot
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? A few hours
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. - The scene where I found him was quite bloody. He wasn’t bleeding much by the time I picked him up and there wasn’t much bleeding at removal either.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. - caught in rat trap, foot severed.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. - he’s in a hospital pod with regular crumble and water with sav a chik, but I haven’t seen him consume any.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. - n/a so far
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? - removed severed foot, bandaged with plain neosporin. He has just slipped out of the dressing and I will need to redo it
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? - We’re so light on vets here that I had to drive two hours to have my dog seen a few weeks ago so realistically I’ll need to treat this myself. However I’m not sure if I need antibiotics and if so, what kind and dosage.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use - pine shavings

Basically I’m wondering if this could be survivable or if I’m just prolonging his pain. If it is survivable, do I need antibiotics or additional treatment beyond fresh dressings?
So you did amputate the foot?

Where are you located in the world?

I would try to get him on some antibiotics if possible. Cephalexin or Clindamycin would be good choices. I think you could probably use Baytril as well.

Let's tag in @casportpony she may be able to tell us which antibiotic is best.

When you do your next wrappings change, get some photos of the leg. Is there bone exposed?

So you did amputate the foot?

Where are you located in the world?

I would try to get him on some antibiotics if possible. Cephalexin or Clindamycin would be good choices. I think you could probably use Baytril as well.

Let's tag in @casportpony she may be able to tell us which antibiotic is best.

When you do your next wrappings change, get some photos of the leg. Is there bone exposed?
Ahh sorry that was unclear - yes I did amputate. We’re located in northeastern United States. Will try to get a good picture at next change tomorrow. From what I could see today it looked like there may be a small amount of bone exposed but I’m not sure.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your advice. He was doing quite well but tonight when we were changing the bandaging my boyfriend accidentally held him too tightly and he died. I think he would have made it but these things happen. Going to have a good cry and maybe incubate the last couple eggs he fathered.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your advice. He was doing quite well but tonight when we were changing the bandaging my boyfriend accidentally held him too tightly and he died. I think he would have made it but these things happen. Going to have a good cry and maybe incubate the last couple eggs he fathered.
I'm sorry to hear this:hugs

I hope you are able to have successful hatch.

Back
Top Bottom