Prolapse + gleet? Help!!!!

katsallday

Chirping
Mar 25, 2022
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Blue austrlorp 1 year old, seems to be the right size

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

My husband and I noticed a gleet like material on her butt this morning, but it was very severe. I must’ve missed it for a couple days. Upon further inspection, it seems like there’s a prolapse, or some sort of severe swelling, which could be periotitis or it’s both? There looks to be pecking injuries to the area as well, as well as gleet material on her beak and comb.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Noticed today

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Maybe some lethargy

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Nothing

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She eats and drinks well

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

We have done a warm water soak. I just picked up Epsom salt to repeat, but I was worried about up some salt being counterproductive to a prolapse. We’ve applied Vaseline to the area. I recently bought hemorrhoid cream, athletes, foot cream, honey, apple cider vinegar, and plain Greek yogurt for her to be used

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I can’t find a vet anywhere near me unfortunately but I have access to a vet over the phone that does not specialize in farm animals at all.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Pic linked

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Bedding is pine shavings, she and her 10 sisters have a 30ft by 20 ft by 6 ft run of sand/dirt, and a 15ft by 8ft roost area of pine shavings.

Attachments

• IMG_8538.jpeg
    IMG_8538.jpeg
    594.6 KB · Views: 59
It does appear to be prolapsed, I can't tell if there is more damage from others pecking it or not. Make sure there is not an egg stuck causing it. The white is probably droppings that have stuck there. Soaks are good, epsom salt will help with pain, swelling and help get it clean. Once that's done apply your chosen ointment liberally, it's really important that the tissue stays moist, does not dry out. Honey can help with swelling, a paste made with white sugar can also help. I've also used hydrocortisone cream. Once it's liberally covered, then gently try to push the prolapse back in. Hold it there for a while, see if it will stay in. Due to swelling she will continue to strain and it will probably come out again. You have to keep repeating, keep trying, keep applying ointment until it will stay in. You can fashion a sling that can help keep it in for periods when you can't be watching all the time. Once the swelling reduces it will hopefully start staying in longer each time. Sometimes it can take a week, or even longer, to successfully treat a prolapse. Then you have to keep an eye on her, it could happen again, or may be the only time she ever does it, hard to predict. I will attach a couple of links that may help, one shows a sling to help hold it in (they can be hard to get adjusted quite right, so patience!)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/successful-vent-prolapse-treatment-with-photos.1101406/
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

It does appear to be prolapsed, I can't tell if there is more damage from others pecking it or not. Make sure there is not an egg stuck causing it. The white is probably droppings that have stuck there. Soaks are good, epsom salt will help with pain, swelling and help get it clean. Once that's done apply your chosen ointment liberally, it's really important that the tissue stays moist, does not dry out. Honey can help with swelling, a paste made with white sugar can also help. I've also used hydrocortisone cream. Once it's liberally covered, then gently try to push the prolapse back in. Hold it there for a while, see if it will stay in. Due to swelling she will continue to strain and it will probably come out again. You have to keep repeating, keep trying, keep applying ointment until it will stay in. You can fashion a sling that can help keep it in for periods when you can't be watching all the time. Once the swelling reduces it will hopefully start staying in longer each time. Sometimes it can take a week, or even longer, to successfully treat a prolapse. Then you have to keep an eye on her, it could happen again, or may be the only time she ever does it, hard to predict. I will attach a couple of links that may help, one shows a sling to help hold it in (they can be hard to get adjusted quite right, so patience!)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/successful-vent-prolapse-treatment-with-photos.1101406/
Thank you so much, she’s in the epsom salts again to try to loosen up the poop/gleet/hell liquid. She will become an indoor only chicken until she is ready to go back out. Their run is all dirt and I don’t want this to get dirty. I’ll be working on making every sling option (seamstress lol) to see which one works best for her. She’s a very calm docile girl luckily. I think I’ll go for the preparation h as the first “lube” to get that prolapse back in because of the vasoconstriction. I’ll probably be switching between that and honey for a while eh.

Thank you again so much my husband and I are worried sick about her. Here’s the beautiful girl at her best

Attachments

• IMG_8356.jpeg
    IMG_8356.jpeg
    736.4 KB · Views: 22
My husband had a quick question, could she possibly be egg bound if she’s pooping normal poops?

If she's pooping, then probably not, but good to make sure. I did treat a hen once that was absolutely egg bound but the egg was stuck above where the oviduct connects to the intestines, so she was still able to pass droppings ( Egg could not be removed until necropsy, sadly). The prolapse could have happened when she last laid, an extra large egg or mal-shaped or a rough shell, that caused it, and this is just the after result. Also possible that she could try to lay again while prolapsed, so keep an eye, as that one could have difficulty passing. You can also put her in a dark room for most of the day, to help stop her laying for a while and let her body rest, but that doesn't happen immediately, it takes some time. I generally keep my birds I'm treating for prolapse in a dark room, only giving them a few hours a day of light to eat and drink, broken up into 3 or 4 sessions during the day. Until everything is normal again, until they can poop without prolapsing, or have laid without prolapsing.

If she's pooping, then probably not, but good to make sure. I did treat a hen once that was absolutely egg bound but the egg was stuck above where the oviduct connects to the intestines, so she was still able to pass droppings ( Egg could not be removed until necropsy, sadly). The prolapse could have happened when she last laid, an extra large egg or mal-shaped or a rough shell, that caused it, and this is just the after result. Also possible that she could try to lay again while prolapsed, so keep an eye, as that one could have difficulty passing. You can also put her in a dark room for most of the day, to help stop her laying for a while and let her body rest, but that doesn't happen immediately, it takes some time. I generally keep my birds I'm treating for prolapse in a dark room, only giving them a few hours a day of light to eat and drink, broken up into 3 or 4 sessions during the day. Until everything is normal again, until they can poop without prolapsing, or have laid without prolapsing.
Here’s where we’re at after another epsom soak honey and Vaseline. Before pushing back in and after. This is awful

Attachments

• PXL_20240310_210356048_Original.jpeg
    PXL_20240310_210356048_Original.jpeg
    433.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8539.jpeg
    IMG_8539.jpeg
    453.2 KB · Views: 20
I know it seems awful. I've actually seen, much, much worse. Keep at it, give it some time for the swelling to reduce, it often is a slow process. My last one took just over a week before it would stay in. Persistence often pays off.

I know it seems awful. I've actually seen, much, much worse. Keep at it, give it some time for the swelling to reduce, it often is a slow process. My last one took just over a week before it would stay in. Persistence often pays off.
Thank you so much I will! You really helped my mind. I’ve had 2 double yolk eggs past 2 weeks, I believe we found the culprit. Poor baby girl :( if you have any other tips I would love to hear them. I added more oyster shell to her diet, she loves yogurt, and she seems calm.

Do you have any human calcium tablets? Calcium citrate with D is quick to be absorbed, but other calcium or Tums can be given orally now to help her pass an egg if there is one. It can also help with the prolapse.

Do you have any human calcium tablets? Calcium citrate with D is quick to be absorbed, but other calcium or Tums can be given orally now to help her pass an egg if there is one. It can also help with the prolapse.
I don’t I’ll grab some asap tomorrow, what’s the correct dose?

Back
Top Bottom