Button Quails Tank vs. Cage

I keep some of mine in a tank, with 6 in one it needs cleaning out twice a week. U MUST make sure the lid is soft mesh so its ventilated and they won't bonk their heads. With 2 Buttons u can probably get away with a clean out once a week. But the tank is definately more attractive than a cage. Make sure there is plenty of interest for them and that u cover a lot of the glass xx
View attachment 3371027
Well it does look nice but tanks are bad for their health. There is not enough ventilation so they will be breathing in trapped dust and poop which can cause respiratory infections.

Well it does look nice but tanks are bad for their health. There is not enough ventilation so they will be breathing in trapped dust and poop which can cause respiratory infections.
If u actually read my post u would see how I explained they must have a soft MESH roof for ventilation and they must be cleaned out once a week. Now I'd say u were right if we were talking about cortinux quail, but these are buttons. They don't make as much mess. My guys don't even smell after a week 😉

Ud only end up with unhealthy birds if u didn't bother cleaning them out xx

If u actually read my post u would see how I explained they must have a soft MESH roof for ventilation and they must be cleaned out once a week. Now I'd say u were right if we were talking about cortinux quail, but these are buttons. They don't make as much mess. My guys don't even smell after a week 😉

Ud only end up with unhealthy birds if u didn't bother cleaning them out xx
Yes but the mesh roof still does not provide enough ventilation. Most birds have sensitive lungs and even the dust from the bedding can escape and their poop has a lot of ammonia in it. They also can't see glass so it can be stressful for them trying to go through it and not knowing what is stopping them. Glass tanks are also harder to clean. It is better and easier to just keep them in a guinea pig/rabbit cage or a custom built cage.

Yes but the mesh roof still does not provide enough ventilation. Most birds have sensitive lungs and even the dust from the bedding can escape and their poop has a lot of ammonia in it. They also can't see glass so it can be stressful for them trying to go through it and not knowing what is stopping them. Glass tanks are also harder to clean. It is better and easier to just keep them in a guinea pig/rabbit cage or a custom built cage.
As long as they're cleaned out regularly to prevent ammonia build up then u won't get this issue. Tape along their height around the glass prevents them glass surfing and getting stressed out. Yes u MUST keep on top of cleaning them if u keep them in tanks, but I find it therapeutic to clean out and rearrange their decor, with 6 in one it needs doing twice weekly, if u kept less in a tank then ud need to clean it out less. But I don't find it harder to clean out, perhaps a little longer process as u can't lift it 😂 xx

Soft mesh, like what ud make a window fly screen from, hard mesh - chicken wire etc. Soft mesh will prevent head boops 😁 xx
Oh. Okay. I figured mesh was mesh, but then I heard soft mesh and thought maybe that was fabric like for dresses and hard mesh was what is typically in vivariums and didn't understand why that wouldn't be a good roofing material

I have 2 button quails that are growing out of the brooder quick. I have seen people keep them in glass tanks as well as guinea pig cages. I am not sure what I should do. Are there any that I should not do, any that are perfect? Should I build a coop? I thought about building a chicken tractor for the spring/summer just for the day time. If i where do do a tank I would most likely do a 30 gallon. If anyone has any advice or anything that they use it would be greatly appreciated :D

Mine
As long as they're cleaned out regularly to prevent ammonia build up then u won't get this issue. Tape along their height around the glass prevents them glass surfing and getting stressed out. Yes u MUST keep on top of cleaning them if u keep them in tanks, but I find it therapeutic to clean out and rearrange their decor, with 6 in one it needs doing twice weekly, if u kept less in a tank then ud need to clean it out less. But I don't find it harder to clean out, perhaps a little longer process as u can't lift it 😂 xx
My two never stop eating, and need cleaning-out once a day without fail. I leave the top slightly ajar for ventilation but this year, having failed to keep them in the transparent box with net during a heatwave - they escaped! - I'm going for a steel TV cabinet with quail-sized-mesh doors. This time, the mesh will be one side only, but might consider mesh all round if heatwaves get much worse.

Back
Top Bottom