• No

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 459 95.8%
  • Have in the past

Votes: 11 2.3%

• Total voters
Pics
Awesome job chickenstricken! My artichokes are on their 2nd year, just sat there...was gonna give up but then they filled in and well are the best trap crop for aphids I have ever found! So, I left them. I hope they fruit this year. Yours looks great!

The raised beds look GREAT!

I really like your raised beds too! Very nice.

Awesome job chickenstricken! My artichokes are on their 2nd year, just sat there...was gonna give up but then they filled in and well are the best trap crop for aphids I have ever found! So, I left them. I hope they fruit this year. Yours looks great!

Thanks everyone. I'm excited to see how this year goes. I know last year was very disappointing for tomatoes. It was our first time trying heirlooms. We're not going to try those anymore.
smile.png

MotherCluckinMe, this is our almost 3rd year with the artichoke. We transplanted them the first year, and they really didn't like that. I thought they were gone, but they sprang back up last year so we decided to see how they did.
They didn't do much until around last month, then it was like they were on steroids. They exploded. I'm curious to see how many artichokes they will actually produce.

Last edited:
Just started a bunch of seeds with my 3-year-old: borage, zinnias, cosmos, bachelor buttons. Stuff that doesn't need much attention once it's in the ground! He had a lot of fun filling the egg cartons with soil mix, and spritzing with water.

Just started a bunch of seeds with my 3-year-old: borage, zinnias, cosmos, bachelor buttons. Stuff that doesn't need much attention once it's in the ground! He had a lot of fun filling the egg cartons with soil mix, and spritzing with water.
Thats great. Gardening is SUCH a great learning experience for all ages!
wink.png

I love harvesting anything with my 4 yr old. She had such a blast with oranges and figs. My grandfather had and orchard, chickens and gardens. Constantly had us out in them, working lol, learning things school didn't teach and how to respect nature and use it to benefit what you have. While I didn't go out and become who I am today early on, I do remember it all and now, use that knowledge everyday...I want my kids to know what he did, what I do even if its not their thing later...they have the knowledge and life lessons.
Thats great. Gardening is SUCH a great learning experience for all ages!
wink.png

Here's my garden. I have eight 4x4 beds, for some reason one of the photos got lost in the ethernet. No photo of my rain gutter planter... you can't see anything good when I try to take the photo. Exactly half of the onions are coming up in it, the half that had old soil. The half with new soil has zilch coming up. Weird huh!

The Lost Bed Photo showed red and green heading cabbage and a mystery cabbagy plant (?)

Here are the rest:

This bed has radishes and carrots (that you can barely see) and spinach

These are the red and yellow potatoes. The reds are the bigger plants.

broccoli, green onions and napa cabbage. Another mystery cabbage is here too.

brussel sprouts, romaine lettuce and a lone broccoli

Iceberg lettuce, thai basil,strawberry, broccoli and a pepper plant that survived the hard freeze we got this year

Peas and green onions. More peas are going in today.

green onions, swiss chard and a blackberry

two of our fruit trees, a nectarine and an apricot. We also have grapes, apples and pears

My mini greenhouse. I have canteloupes and cucumbers growing in it.

Love it! I have that green house. It works like a charm even after the wheels go lol. Good job with the beds. How deep is the bed you have carrots in? I want to do carrots but haven't been successful yet.

The beds are all only 12 inches deep, but I'm aiming for smaller carrots. And really, no matter how deep or where they're planted I always have a tough time with carrots.

I have the greenhouse weighted down with some 5 pound weights from my husband's weight bench. We get very high winds here (yesterday: 70mph), and they stayed put!

Back
Top Bottom