• No

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 459 95.8%
  • Have in the past

Votes: 11 2.3%

• Total voters
Pics
Here's my garden. I have eight 4x4 beds, for some reason one of the photos got lost in the ethernet. No photo of my rain gutter planter... you can't see anything good when I try to take the photo. Exactly half of the onions are coming up in it, the half that had old soil. The half with new soil has zilch coming up. Weird huh!

The Lost Bed Photo showed red and green heading cabbage and a mystery cabbagy plant (?)

Here are the rest:

This bed has radishes and carrots (that you can barely see) and spinach

These are the red and yellow potatoes. The reds are the bigger plants.

broccoli, green onions and napa cabbage. Another mystery cabbage is here too.

brussel sprouts, romaine lettuce and a lone broccoli

Iceberg lettuce, thai basil,strawberry, broccoli and a pepper plant that survived the hard freeze we got this year

Peas and green onions. More peas are going in today.

green onions, swiss chard and a blackberry

two of our fruit trees, a nectarine and an apricot. We also have grapes, apples and pears

My mini greenhouse. I have canteloupes and cucumbers growing in it.

Looks good!

Hello!
MKK, I couldn't find out how to post pictures on the thread so i have the picture of half of mine and my brother's garden last year as my profile picture if you want to take look.?

Just started a bunch of seeds with my 3-year-old: borage, zinnias, cosmos, bachelor buttons.  Stuff that doesn't need much attention once it's in the ground!  He had a lot of fun filling the egg cartons with soil mix, and spritzing with water.  

I planted lots of marigolds when mine were little. They grow anywhere lol...

Hello!
MKK, I couldn't find out how to post pictures on the thread so i have the picture of half of mine and my brother's garden last year as my profile picture if you want to take look.?
I looked at it and its awesome! Good job!

Love it! I have that green house. It works like a charm even after the wheels go lol. Good job with the beds. How deep is the bed you have carrots in? I want to do carrots but haven't been successful yet.

Carrots are about the easiest darn thing to grow. At least here in the inland northwest, most likely different for other regions tho
hit.gif
. Throw the seeds in the dirt, rake lightly, and water until september or october. If you have shallow beds use a "half-long" varietal. We do carrots every year and start harvesting about 10 weeks after planting. Thin the beds with the first few gatherings (Use those little babys in salads) and let the remainder go until needed. Here even with the hard freeze I had carrots left in the ground this spring. If you leave them under mulch for the winter they will keep just fine stored in the ground. Just remove the greens before mulching.

Peace
-Cam-

PS--Love your 4x4 beds easy access and big enough to keep you busy ---Edited for the P.S.
wink.png

Last edited:
Carrots are about the easiest darn thing to grow. At least here in the inland northwest, most likely different for other regions tho
hit.gif
. Throw the seeds in the dirt, rake lightly, and water until september or october. If you have shallow beds use a "half-long" varietal. We do carrots every year and start harvesting about 10 weeks after planting. Thin the beds with the first few gatherings (Use those little babys in salads) and let the remainder go until needed. Here even with the hard freeze I had carrots left in the ground this spring. If you leave them under mulch for the winter they will keep just fine stored in the ground. Just remove the greens before mulching.

Peace
-Cam-

PS--Love your 4x4 beds easy access and big enough to keep you busy ---Edited for the P.S.
wink.png
carrots never work for me. I've planted them this year after about a decade of not planting them, simply because my 5 yr old wanted me to.

carrots never work for me. I've planted them this year after about a decade of not planting them, simply because my 5 yr old wanted me to.

Sounds to me like you have an amendment issue. Soil needs to be "fluffy" and not hard packed. Good amendment of organic but not too much nitrogen (causes hairy carrots...not pretty). The more clay and stone in the soil the more you need to work it to get it fluffy. I use leaves in my beds to get the soil light and airy. Mow the leaves until they are tiny pieces and turn the soil over to incorporate. If you have already planted but the shoots have not come up yet put a layer of the shredded leaves (half an inch or so) on top to keep moisture levels up. The carrots will push through and if they haven't done so in two weeks or so give a light raking to loosen up the leaves.

I know some of this is basic stuff but I would like all children to succeed at gardening so they maintain an interest. If we can keep it fun and productive for them the benefits are lifelong. In all facets of life.

Peace

-Cam-

P.S. If i step on toes here i apologize ahead of time for that.

Back
Top Bottom