• No

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 459 95.8%
  • Have in the past

Votes: 11 2.3%

• Total voters
Pics
I have an area outside the raised beds but near them, I toss an array of mixed salad seeds that grow fast/ micro greens mixes/safe flowers /lettuce, they LOVE lettuce too much/radish (they eat the tops)/ any of the cabbage and broccoli (but they never get to mature in the chicken garden) lol. I take herbs when trimming them and root bunches along the edges for them to pick at, basil/oregano and mint are fast rooters.

Happy Tuesday! Do water gardens count? The cat tails are totally edible! Lol here's a few water garden plants I have going this year

Last edited:
I never knew cattails were edible! There were some every year on the property I grew up on. I always collected some for my room and always had a huge mess when they'd end up bursting. Never stopped me though.

Well, this has to do with gardening, so I'll ask it. My boy wants a fish REALLY badly, but we don't want anymore animals inside, I'm thinking about making a 30 gal pond an making a natural water garden in it, could the fish live in that?

Well, this has to do with gardening, so I'll ask it. My boy wants a fish REALLY badly, but we don't want anymore animals inside, I'm thinking about making a 30 gal pond an making a natural water garden in it, could the fish live in that?

Yes, my parents have pond like that and I have plans to pstock large one in on my property. But 30 gals is really small for a pond. I would recommend digging out the area/shape you want in the ground, putting down a waterproof tarp and then putting in a outdoor fountain pump. That way you get water circulation, you don't have to clean it often and it's cheaper then buying one of those stock fish ponds. Stock it with the cheapy 25 cent goldfish and some sucker fish. The fish will help any water plants grow and you can scoop out the fish water to use as fertilizer in your garden.

In my backyard pond I have 2 large Oscars, a large pleco and a few dozen minnows and some Comets that breed regularly :) my 3 & 4 year old LOVE to feed the fish and the fish love them lol i also water nearby plants from pond water (filtered but full of nutrients). Goldfish eat algae and minnows eat mosquito larva. Frogs are all around and maybe a tadpole makes it past the Oscar's lol. Add plants for natural filtration and shade for the fish...you won't regret it. We are just finishing up the cosmetic end of it :) I'll post some pics tomorrow

Last edited:
Yes, my parents have pond like that and I have plans to pstock large one in on my property. But 30 gals is really small for a pond. I would recommend digging out the area/shape you want in the ground, putting down a waterproof tarp and then putting in a outdoor fountain pump. That way you get water circulation, you don't have to clean it often and it's cheaper then buying one of those stock fish ponds. Stock it with the cheapy 25 cent goldfish and some sucker fish. The fish will help any water plants grow and you can scoop out the fish water to use as fertilizer in your garden.

In my backyard pond I have 2 large Oscars, a large pleco and a few dozen minnows and some Comets that breed regularly :) my 3 & 4 year old LOVE to feed the fish and the fish love them lol i also water nearby plants from pond water (filtered but full of nutrients). Goldfish eat algae and minnows eat mosquito larva. Frogs are all around and maybe a tadpole makes it past the Oscar's lol. Add plants for natural filtration and shade for the fish...you won't regret it. We are just finishing up the cosmetic end of it :) I'll post some pics tomorrow

Thankyou! I wasn't getting the pond from the stores, planned on making my own =)

They are! The whole plant is I believe but the rooots/young shoots and flowers are tastiest I hear/read. I have yet to try it, I just started using them to make shady spots for the fish. But while researching them (didn't want them to hurt the balance in the pond
I use invasive plants and have kids and pets so I have to be diligent with knowing all I can) I found a lot on how to eat them and survive if lost! What I thought was a pretty weed, turns out to be very much beneficial in a controlled environment. (well semi controlled lol this *is* Louisiana, nature does as it pleases!)

I never knew cattails were edible! There were some every year on the property I grew up on. I always collected some for my room and always had a huge mess when they'd end up bursting. Never stopped me though.

Back
Top Bottom