• No

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 459 95.8%
  • Have in the past

Votes: 11 2.3%

• Total voters
Pics
They are! The whole plant is I believe but the rooots/young shoots and flowers are tastiest I hear/read. I have yet to try it, I just started using them to make shady spots for the fish. But while researching them (didn't want them to hurt the balance in the pond
I use invasive plants and have kids and pets so I have to be diligent with knowing all I can) I found a lot on how to eat them and survive if lost! What I thought was a pretty weed, turns out to be very much beneficial in a controlled environment. (well semi controlled lol this *is* Louisiana, nature does as it pleases!)
that is very interesting! I'm in the desert, so the only way I'd get them is to build a pond and plant some.

My oldest brother has some farm property where he has Steed Farms CSA in Plant City, FL. It's all organic fruits, vegetables and herbs. They have trees of; lemons, oranges, grapefruits, loquats, peaches, pears, persimmons, plums, nectarines, sugar cane, blueberries and the vegetables are seasonal but today we harvested carrots, red potatoes, sweet onions, Swiss chard, kale, cilantro, mint, scallions, yellow squash, zucchini, and tomatoes. I'll add some pictures below.

http://steedfarm.blogspot.com/

I also have some fruit trees that I've planted at my own house this year. So far I've gotten an Ein Shemer apple (need a second one for pollination), Negami kumquat, lemon, mulberry tree, Brogdon avocado, blueberry bushes, and a Florida peach tree. I have an 8'x8' above ground garden on the side of my house that has had different things since last year but right now has; Roma tomatoes, white onions (aka: scallions), mint, basil, chives, sweet corn, sesame plants, a bell pepper plant, Japanese cucumbers and some garlic growing in a container. In the works are planting some blackberries that I've recently gotten and some grape. I figure I'll do a trellis system for both the grapes and blackberries.

I also have two species of worms in two different bins in my shed. Eisenia hortensis (European Night Crawlers) and Eisenia fetida (red wigglers) help vermicompost my food scraps so I can have my own "black gold". I put egg shells, coffee grains and filters, yard prunings, tea bags, and fruit and vegetable scraps and rinds into the bins for the worms to compost. I use the castings to mix with soil and start seeds or add to soil when planting different things. I also put a pound of worm castings in a sock and let it soak in a 5 gallon bucket overnight with some blackstrap molasses and I use it as a root and foliar fertilizer. It's the best organic pesticide, and fertilizer available and it's free and fun. It adds trace minerals and helps soils retain more water as well. Great stuff if you have the time. Easy to do too.

My next farming hobby is beekeeping which I've been reading up on, watching videos and attended a day long class on everything from buying/constructing the hives, to getting bees, the types of things they pollinate, how to gather extract the honey and beeswax, tools required, pests, transporting, manipulating hives, apitherapy benefits and how the queen is made from royal jelly.

Simply stunning! Great job! I want to start worms. They are already plentiful here but as you said the castings make great ferts. Bees arriving Monday here for the first hive! We're excited hehe
My oldest brother has some farm property where he has Steed Farms CSA in Plant City, FL. It's all organic fruits, vegetables and herbs. They have trees of; lemons, oranges, grapefruits, loquats, peaches, pears, persimmons, plums, nectarines, sugar cane, blueberries and the vegetables are seasonal but today we harvested carrots, red potatoes, sweet onions, Swiss chard, kale, cilantro, mint, scallions, yellow squash, zucchini, and tomatoes. I'll add some pictures below. http://steedfarm.blogspot.com/ I also have some fruit trees that I've planted at my own house this year. So far I've gotten an Ein Shemer apple (need a second one for pollination), Negami kumquat, lemon, mulberry tree, Brogdon avocado, blueberry bushes, and a Florida peach tree. I have an 8'x8' above ground garden on the side of my house that has had different things since last year but right now has; Roma tomatoes, white onions (aka: scallions), mint, basil, chives, sweet corn, sesame plants, a bell pepper plant, Japanese cucumbers and some garlic growing in a container. In the works are planting some blackberries that I've recently gotten and some grape. I figure I'll do a trellis system for both the grapes and blackberries. I also have two species of worms in two different bins in my shed. Eisenia hortensis (European Night Crawlers) and Eisenia fetida (red wigglers) help vermicompost my food scraps so I can have my own "black gold". I put egg shells, coffee grains and filters, yard prunings, tea bags, and fruit and vegetable scraps and rinds into the bins for the worms to compost. I use the castings to mix with soil and start seeds or add to soil when planting different things. I also put a pound of worm castings in a sock and let it soak in a 5 gallon bucket overnight with some blackstrap molasses and I use it as a root and foliar fertilizer. It's the best organic pesticide, and fertilizer available and it's free and fun. It adds trace minerals and helps soils retain more water as well. Great stuff if you have the time. Easy to do too. My next farming hobby is beekeeping which I've been reading up on, watching videos and attended a day long class on everything from buying/constructing the hives, to getting bees, the types of things they pollinate, how to gather extract the honey and beeswax, tools required, pests, transporting, manipulating hives, apitherapy benefits and how the queen is made from royal jelly.

goodpost.gif
pjangles,

bow.gif

amazing setup and great pictures.
My next farming hobby is beekeeping which I've been reading up on, watching videos and attended a day long class on everything from buying/constructing the hives, to getting bees, the types of things they pollinate, how to gather extract the honey and beeswax, tools required, pests, transporting, manipulating hives, apitherapy benefits and how the queen is made from royal jelly.
as far as ^^^^ , I am currently doing the same. My plan is to have my first hive by this time next year. I've been lurking in the beekeeping thread in the diy/self sufficiency sub forum. There are some very informative links in it, including one from the Ohio state beekeepers assoc. that has tons of great videos.

Hope to see you post in the beekeeping thread MotherCluckinMe.

Last edited:
We have corn, beans, and zucchini all planted into a mound of dirt. The corn is in the middle, and there are two sprouts on the left and right side of it. That is either beans or zucchini. Each have a seed stuck to a leaf.

We plant it in a mound, which is the best way if you don't have the space for a whole field of it. I'm not the one with a green thumb, but I can probably tell you how to do it in as much detail as I can.

Back
Top Bottom