Do you garden?

• No

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 459 95.8%
  • Have in the past

Votes: 11 2.3%

• Total voters
There's a gardener who lives about 1.5 miles from me.  I've often bought squash from him.  2 years ago, I bought the biggest butter cup squash he had.  It was massive.  I saved the seeds and planted them last year.  They were planted in a single hill along with seeds from my usual variety.  In that one hill which was about 4' x 3' I harvested 185# of squash.  I weighed them, and couldn't believe that yield.  I still have quite a few seeds left for next year.  Interestingly, last year, he had the usual variety of small butter cup.  I save seeds every year.  Cucurbits are the easiest.  I've never done any deliberate crossing, and try to grow only one variety of an OP if I plan to save seeds.  But I'm not too proud to try saving seeds from hybrids.  

Hennible:  My "LG" name refers to my preferred gardening method:  I keep my garden under layers of mulch.  I don't till, unless opening up new ground.  I often sheet or trench compost.  Why cart the stuff off your garden to a compost pile, tend it in a compost pile, only to cart it back to the garden when it's finished.  I often let seeds from this year's crop fall to the ground for next year's crop.  If my lettuce goes to seed, but I want to have lettuce someplace different next year, I just yank the plants out of the ground and lay them where next year's crop will be.  Garlic?  I only harvest what I need, leaving the rest in the ground as a perennial crop.  Garlic scapes go to seed and produce an abundance of heads for future use.  My garden is a wild hodge podge of produce mixed in with the weeds that manage to make their way through the mulch.  I don't view weeds as a horrible thing, unless they are crowding out a vegetable plant.  (free cover crops... or green manure)  I've purposefully left a lot in the garden this year, so when the girls get turned loose in the garden after first frost, they'll have a bonanza of seeds.  If potatoes manage to evade harvest in the fall, they'll sprout in the spring.  Sometimes, i move them to where I intend the next crop to be, other times, I just throw some mulch over them, and step over them throughout the growing season.  My best crop of potatoes was one I never planted.  I had volunteers sprout in my corn patch.  They were absolutely huge, producing better than the potatoes I planted that year. 

LG, you just might be my hero!

Yep lazy Gardner total hero!
I like the way you think. I use a half baked version of permaculture keep the weeds and all the volunteers too. but I think your doing something even better... Got a book out :)? Or recommended reading at least?

Y
Who here is gardening this year, or is planning a garden? I sure am! We all love our very own fresh fruit and veggies right? Well, that is why I started this thread.This thread is for sharing ideas, giving advice, having fun, sharing pics info etc! So lets start! Today I planted some Asparagus, some beans, and a few Squash seeds! (Planted indoors, and I will transplant to garden later in the year) I also hope to plant carrots, Potatoes, and Lettuce as well! What are you going to plant? ( Flowers and flower gardens are welcomed to this thread)
pop.gif
You should not plant carrots they will take almost two years befor they are a good size

Carrots should reach full size in 60 - 80 days, or you have some serious soil deficiencies, or they are over crowded, or perhaps too dry. The second year, they become woody and set seed.

Last edited:
I plant two crops of carrots; one in the early spring about March 1 and then again Aug 1 for a fall crop. I like Dantes and Imperator and then always try a new variety. The fall crop can be covered by hay and left in the ground to harvest thru the winter.
You ruin a crop of carrots by not harvesting them when they are 1st year. As a bi-ennial, you only let them stay in the ground if you want seed from the plant.
Adding compost to the soil, and covering the row of seed with a 1x4 helps get the seeds up in August when the temps are so hot.
Carrots should be sown thinly so I mix the seed with sifted compost to get them spaced better.

Welp! I just planted some Arugula with encouragement from a friend.This is a first for me! It says on the packet "cold crop". It's a good thing it is because we're going to be getting snow already tomorrow.
th.gif
I'm sure it's not bound to last but the thought is sort of sickening. Two days ago it was 80 and we were water skiing. Good Gravy. "If you don't like the weather in MN...wait 5 minutes!"

I pulled out the woody brown finished pea plants, trellising fence, etc... and weeded well the area for the Arugula. Let the chooks in with me tonight too. I love it when they are in there with me.They almost seem like they are having a blast--their own little fairy garden of sorts--exploring, finding goodies. Going down the Sweet corn rows seems to be their favorite thing to do. LOL. It's so much more fun in there weeding when they are with me. Next time I'll get that camera down there. The garden looks better when they are in there too.
wink.png

Yesterday I planted 2 flats of cold weather crops for my winter cold frames. (they should have been planted a month ago.) some cells were reserved for basil and parsley, which will be potted up and brought into the house for the winter.

Welp! I just planted some Arugula with encouragement from a friend.This is a first for me! It says on the packet "cold crop". It's a good thing it is because we're going to be getting snow already tomorrow.
th.gif
I'm sure it's not bound to last but the thought is sort of sickening. Two days ago it was 80 and we were water skiing. Good Gravy. "If you don't like the weather in MN...wait 5 minutes!"

I pulled out the woody brown finished pea plants, trellising fence, etc... and weeded well the area for the Arugula. Let the chooks in with me tonight too. I love it when they are in there with me.They almost seem like they are having a blast--their own little fairy garden of sorts--exploring, finding goodies. Going down the Sweet corn rows seems to be their favorite thing to do. LOL. It's so much more fun in there weeding when they are with me. Next time I'll get that camera down there. The garden looks better when they are in there too.
wink.png

I love it when the chooks are in the garden with me, too, especially a mama and her babies! My sweet corn did not have any corn worms this year. Woo Hoo!

Back
Top Bottom