• No

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 459 95.8%
  • Have in the past

Votes: 11 2.3%

• Total voters
The deer war continues!
Since the addition of the last wire mom has been kept out.
After all an electric fence with wires at 6",12",3',5.5', then rope with streamers at 6.5',8'.10',12' should keep most land based animals out.
The fawns have been jumping through the 3', and 5.5' strands without touching them let alone the ground.(no shock).
Now the electric fence has wire at 6",8",12",22",32",42",52",62"+/-, with blue surveyors tape on every wire 6' apart.
Read that it is believed blue glows at night similar to what we see under ultraviolet light from the concentration of rods and cones for night vision in their eyes.
It is my hope this will end this on going war.  My younger brother laughs and says where there is a will there is a way and the deer will find another assault plan.
Most my roman lettuce, spinach, and young purple hulls were destroyed before I could get to fixing the fence.
I will harvest these fawns soon as they become legal as I don't want them to continue there assault when all else around is brown. Young deer is more tender anyway.  As I say,  "Say no to as much store bought food as possible; torturing animals from before birth to butchering is inhumane," and don't get me started on what "they" are doing to plant life we eat.

Have you ever tried deer repellant? It sure stinks ( my kid sprayed some in the hardware store once ) wonder if it works...

The best deer repellent is hunting . They will not show up if you hunt . Drive down the road and they come running . This has really happened to me . I was bow hunting on my acreage and saw nothing. Came out of the woods near the house and the police were out front at the scene of a deer accident .
hu.gif

Its not the idea that they are stealing produce its that they are on your property and stealing.
You can protect you're home and property.

Our state says if a deer is eating your crops you can not shoot them unless you make a living farming so if you are just planting a garden for your own purpose's you will go to jail for 10 days with a $1000.00 fine and will never be allowed to hunt again We have very strict laws here in Pa. And the funny thing is We are over run buy the deer and they limit the license sales Pa. Has the most stupid laws and regulations . Just tonight I seen about 30 deer in one field and a few more in a 6 mile stretch . When their is a road kill buy the house I know that deer has my veggies in his stomach . And the nerve of some people stops by my apple trees at the end of the property and scoops up the apples just to take home and feed the deer.

''So bambi I do know you are fed real good and hunting season is coming I hope you learned a good lesson when you are on my supper table.''

So your in the Southern Hemisphere? Do you have devils plant around, because if you do you can graft peppers and tomatoes to those and get a bigger more cold tolerant crop.
Yeah I'm in Australia. The cold won't be a problem soon enough, it's just a matter of keeping them covered on cold nights. It's starting to really warm up now, so I'm not that worried about frost anymore.

The McIntosh apples are done, but the Cortlands are taking their sweet time to finish ripening. Lovely red orbs, though. The ones that hit the ground get demolished by the field rabbits.

We did a trial run of our cider press. It's a Raw Rules stainless steel model. Got some lovely juice (about a quart), which we promptly bourbonized and enjoyed.

Back
Top Bottom