Do you garden?

• No

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 459 95.8%
  • Have in the past

Votes: 11 2.3%

• Total voters
We actually planted it three times in batches of 25. This final batch only sixteen stalks sprouted. For an experiment it wasn't bad, and now I know what I'm doing for next year when it's biointensive companion planting with beans and squash.

My experiment was to plant the back 1/3 with a 85-90 day harvest variety, the middle 1/3 with 75-85 day harvest variety and the front 1/3 with 65-75 day harvest variety, hoping to get several weeks of harvest out of it and being able to remove from the front and work back as they were harvested... I wasn't all the worried about any cross pollination as they were all sweet corn hybrids anyway, except for the Indian corn but figured a few random colored starchy kernels wouldn't hurt... Since there was poor germination and poor growth it's not going to work out this year... Next year I will either plant in containers, or put down a lot of weed cover prior to planting... As well as trying to get them in a little earlier, I was a few weeks late due to rearranging the garden this year...

We only have one variety of corn this year, so we're not concerned about cross-pollination. Next year will be a little more nerve-wracking, because I plan on growing Aztec black corn too. I might have to do that at the in-laws' house, they have a field they bought only zoned for farm use and they want to know what I plan to do with it when we inherit the GFiL's house.

We only have one variety of corn this year, so we're not concerned about cross-pollination. Next year will be a little more nerve-wracking, because I plan on growing Aztec black corn too. I might have to do that at the in-laws' house, they have a field they bought only zoned for farm use and they want to know what I plan to do with it when we inherit the GFiL's house.

When reading Sand Hill information, he plants based on tassling, so varieties are side by side but because tassling times are purposely planned to be different, no cross pollination. SO perhaps in the future when you know the tassling habits, you can grow both at home.

THe silver queen planted this year is the tallest corn I have ever grown. . . . always got outgrown then shaded by weeds. lol

Maybe, @Arielle . I certainly hope so.

In chicken news, spent the better part of two hours chasing out Ancona mix out of our neighbor's parking lot. That about tears it, she's getting her wings clipped tomorrow. Corn is tasseling and when I shake it pollen flies. Canned my first quart of beans. Things are decent.

When reading Sand Hill information, he plants based on tassling, so varieties are side by side but because tassling times are purposely planned to be different, no cross pollination. SO perhaps in the future when you know the tassling habits, you can grow both at home.

THe silver queen planted this year is the tallest corn I have ever grown. . . . always got outgrown then shaded by weeds. lol
My dad used to grow Silver Queen

The seeds we've saved for fall and next spring got soaked in the crisper. Something leaked and although we pulled the seeds out and dried them and put them back in the fridge I'm unsure if they'll still be viable for planting. Should we keep them ($100 worth) or toss them and buy new ones?

Any help would be appreciated.

RichnSteph

Pull a few out of the fridge (different kinds) let them dry out for a week or two and then do a test germination run to see if they are still viable...

I do my test germination in small ziplock bags with moist paper towels under a light or on a window sill, I zip the bag most of the way and use a straw to inflate it into a dome, it's like a mini green house and I don't have to worry about watering it for just a germination test...

Ours is Golden Bantam this year. Smaller plants but really hardy and surprisingly good if you get a lot of rain. If they fall over they won't immediately die, just pile dirt around the roots when you straighten it and it'll do fine. At least in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom