Do you garden?

• No

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 459 95.8%
  • Have in the past

Votes: 11 2.3%

• Total voters
Just curious if you guys have used mini poly tunnels at all?

We are in a temperate zone and only ever get a couple minor frosts a year so fairly mild winters. Because we don't get the big colds they aren't commonly used here but I'm wondering if I could use one to extend my growing season or even grow things like tomatoes over winter?

Wow your that close to Fl. and you drive to B'ham for feed! Wow! There is a hardware store in Selma, AL that orders in Non GMO feed for us at 11.00 per 50# bag. You might ask around to see if someone closer to you would get you some in. Or ALr Bama dude on the AL thread or the old folks hom thread lives in Dothan and he might know of someone closer to you.
Hmmm

Thank you chickadoodles. Not all of them are broken but most of the flowers are gone. Some of them still hanging. And some tomatoes still hanging too. But lettuce is gone like shredded cheese. I was waiting for my cucumbers me and my chickens love them. Darn it. And I don't have my fabulous shade area now. That is the most upsetting.

Dan, I found that guy that put the slices of tomatoes in the pot and they grew. Lol

http://www.diyeverythings.com/2016/04/he-put-4-tomato-slices-on-bucket-of.html
Cool

So the plan for this year's overwintering is to spray everything with an organic weed killer, lay down weed sheeting, and then build some boxes on top with mulch in-between. Would make getting carrots out from the clay much easier, better loam and all that.

Just curious if you guys have used mini poly tunnels at all?

We are in a temperate zone and only ever get a couple minor frosts a year so fairly mild winters. Because we don't get the big colds they aren't commonly used here but I'm wondering if I could use one to extend my growing season or even grow things like tomatoes over winter?
You might want to check out this book: https://www.amazon.com/Four-Season-Harvest-Organic-Vegetables-Garden/dp/1890132276

If you don't want to purchase it, you can probably get it at your local library, and if they don't have it, they can order it in for you. He does a great job of explaining various options, as well as how to create and use micro-climates to your advantage. You might consider a cattle panel green house, a cold frame, or even make a hay bale cold frame. If you want winter tomatoes, I'd go with the CP green house. Super easy to make.

So the plan for this year's overwintering is to spray everything with an organic weed killer, lay down weed sheeting, and then build some boxes on top with mulch in-between. Would make getting carrots out from the clay much easier, better loam and all that.
IF you're going to use the weed sheeting, why bother to spray with the weed killer? Even organic is going to have a negative impact on the soil. You could lay down several layers of cardboard, or lots of newspaper, and then the mulch. What will you use for soil? Before going to this expense, do a little research on Back to Eden.

You might want to check out this book:  https://www.amazon.com/Four-Season-Harvest-Organic-Vegetables-Garden/dp/1890132276

If you don't want to purchase it, you can probably get it at your local library, and if they don't have it, they can order it in for you.  He does a great job of explaining various options, as well as how to create and use micro-climates to your advantage.  You might consider a cattle panel green house, a cold frame, or even make a hay bale cold frame.  If you want winter tomatoes, I'd go with the CP green house.  Super easy to make.

IF you're going to use the weed sheeting, why bother to spray with the weed killer?  Even organic is going to have a negative impact on the soil.  You could lay down several layers of cardboard, or lots of newspaper, and then the mulch.  What will you use for soil?  Before going to this expense, do a little research on Back to Eden.

Cardboard and newspaper are not easily found here. The soil is almost 80% clay in our area, so square-foot box materials are readiy available and often cheaper than amending the soil. Plus I have bad hips, knees, and ankles so raised beds are easier on me. As for spraying, we want to be absolutely sure everything below is killed. We get thistles, nettles, and other agressive and painful plants here.

Last edited:
Pics? Any slime on the leaves? How big are the leaves? Unless the plants are quite small, I doubt that your culprit is ear wigs. I wonder if you don't have a rodent issue.

Check this out: http://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/garden/how-control-earwigs

Heading down there now with my phone… I usually don't take it with me to the garden. I either A) forget it there, and it rains or B) Drop it in something less than desirable (more often in the chicken coop). Gotta candle the broody's eggs quick first, then I'll be back to post.

Big leaves, it seems, munched down to the stalk. No slime that I can see, but we have had rain every day for the last forever. It seems to affect one leaf at a time. I could probaby just make a circle of DE around each plant to see if it helps. I don't know that it is really hurting them at this point.

Back
Top Bottom