• No

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 459 95.8%
  • Have in the past

Votes: 11 2.3%

• Total voters
Alternaria Leaf Spots

Alternaria fungus is a common problem in apples, but it's simple to identify from the concentric rings that form around the initially small, brown lesions on leaves. These spots may eventually reach up to about 1/2 inch, but they grow at irregular rates depending on local conditions. These brown spots may have a yellow halo around them or be covered in a fine, fuzzy growth when they're ready to sporulate. If your apple tree is suffering from Alternaria, keep leaves and plant debris cleaned up around the base to help eliminate sources of spores. When many leaves are covered in spots, you may need to treat the tree with neem oil, mixed at a rate of 2 tablespoons per gallon of water in a portable sprayer. Coat the leaves thoroughly when disease appears and repeat weekly until no new signs of disease are visible. Take care when using neem oil and always read the entire label before use.

Apple Scab

Apple scab can be devastating to producing fruit trees since it frequently spreads from leaves to fruits. Leaf spots may start out yellow, but they soon darken to a brown-olive color. Affected leaves may pucker or twist -- in heavily diseased trees, yellowing and dropping leaves are common. Apple scab can affect fruit, flowers and stems as well -- the lesions are similar to those on the leaves. Scab can often be controlled in a single tree planting by removing fallen leaves promptly and watering early in the day to keep the foliage as dry as possible. Larger plantings should be treated with neem oil, mixed at a rate of 2 tablespoons per gallon and applied with a sprayer once weekly. If your tree is very sick, consider replacing it with a scab-resistant variety, such as "Easy-Gro," "Goldrush," "Liberty" or "Williams Pride."

Entomosporium Leaf Spot

The leaf spots caused by Entomosporium leaf spot are redder than those found in other leaf diseases -- this coloration coupled with the yellow halo surrounding the small spots makes it simple to identify on an apple tree. Spots first appear on young leaves, darkening and enlarging as the leaves mature. Leaf drop is common in infected plants. Like other leaf spots, Entomosporium can be slowed by cleaning up fallen, infected plant debris. Thinning the canopy of your tree can also be a great help since this will reduce the humidity that allows the spores to germinate. Overhead watering spreads these tiny infectious bodies, so ensure you water your tree at the base whenever possible. Maintaining bare soil around the tree can also help halt the spread of disease.

Apple Mosaic Virus

Rarely, young apple trees will show signs of apple mosaic virus contracted during grafting. Leaves of infected plants may turn white or yellow along the veins and develop yellow spots that quickly turn brown. Trees with some virus resistance may only have small leaf spots, but the growth and yield of the tree will ultimately be reduced. There is no cure for virus-infected trees. If you're certain your apple has a virus, destruction is highly recommended. Carefully clean any tools you've used to work on your tree with a disinfectant to prevent spreading the virus to other susceptible plants.

I have baby eggplants! Green peppers, green beans and Roma tomatoes, cukes, coming along too. And I found Japanese beetles in the corn silks! I'm already looking forward to what I hope to grow on a larger property next year! The above is all in pots and kiddie pools!

Yeeeey gardennut good for you ! I have cucumbers and they never make to the kitchen though. Before I leave the garden they're in my tummy. Silly cucumbers,they are so good and crunchy !
Tomatoes are growing nice and big and squirrels are munching on them like me on cucumbers ;)

Last edited:
Came home to this after 2 weeks . Getting it under control . 5 loads so far .
You and me both, dude. I'm finally finding potatoes after weeding by hand over five or six days. In other news...
Okay...the lettuce MIGHT be a little big...

So my Grandma has had this one type of watermelon that's been coming up in her yard for like 8 years and each year they get bigger and sweeter
droolin.gif
So this year I'm saving the seeds from the melon she gave us.

Dan they are getting BIGGER ? is anyone surprised that something is getting BIGGER in your gardens ?
wink.png

I have some peppers , still green but they are looking good. Hope they will make to the kitchen ... I have this tendency to eat everything around me when I am watering .

Dan they are getting BIGGER ? is anyone surprised that something is getting BIGGER in your gardens ?
wink.png

I have some peppers , still green but they are looking good. Hope they will make to the kitchen ... I have this tendency to eat everything around me when I am watering .
It's not in my garden, they took over my grandma's front yard.

Like I said before - it runs in the family ;)
Good for you guys. I planted gourds one year the big ones, oh boy .... They took over my whole garden. Jeeeeez it was a huge mess.
They even climbed over the fence,on my outdoor fireplace. But till this day I have nice gourds for fall decor.

Back
Top Bottom