BYC Guinea hen club

Pics
Does it matter if I want to mix 2 different kinds of guineas

If by different kinds of guineas you mean guineas that are different colors such as pearl gray, lavender, chocolate, etc., they are all the same kinds of guineas and will interbreed just fine. Jumbo (aka French) guineas are larger and apparently don't fly as well but can be mixed in with regular helmeted guinea fowl just fine.

The only reason to not mix different colors of guineas is if you want to raise a particular color variety and produce only that color variety. In that case they need to be penned separately.

Ok is it a good idea to have jungle fowl with guineas @R2elk

Others get by keeping guineas with chickens but in my opinion it is not a good idea to house guineas with any other poultry. Guineas have a different nature than that of any other poultry and do best in large flocks of their own kind. Those that do manage to keep guineas with other poultry often have large groups of guineas and lots of room for the different poultry to keep to themselves.

Howdy - don't post here much. Got a question - raided a broody hen nest last week - keets hatched and kept getting picked off by predators. Got 10 live keets and about a dozen eggs at various stages of development. All eggs in incubator that I got Friday nigh. Momma hen abandoned nest after raid.

I've got 3 eggs now showing cracks in shell (pushed up cracks) and 1 of them has a tiny piece of shell popped off but membrane not broken. Assuming these are attempting to hatch (and not something I did wrong putting them in incubator) how long should it be before keets start emerging?

The bator has an auto turner so I'm thinking that needs to be stopped before the completely hatch?

Or should I stop it now? What about early development eggs not being turned for a day or so?

Lost and wandering

Howdy - don't post here much. Got a question - raided a broody hen nest last week - keets hatched and kept getting picked off by predators. Got 10 live keets and about a dozen eggs at various stages of development. All eggs in incubator that I got Friday nigh. Momma hen abandoned nest after raid.

I've got 3 eggs now showing cracks in shell (pushed up cracks) and 1 of them has a tiny piece of shell popped off but membrane not broken. Assuming these are attempting to hatch (and not something I did wrong putting them in incubator) how long should it be before keets start emerging?

The bator has an auto turner so I'm thinking that needs to be stopped before the completely hatch?

Or should I stop it now? What about early development eggs not being turned for a day or so?

Lost and wandering

When my eggs are at the hatch point I normally turn off the turner as the new born chicks can easily get crushed between the turning and the floor of the incubator now after the chicks hatch you will need to leave them in the incubator to recover as it hatch process took a lot of energy out of the little guys and the chicks have enough food stored inside them to last for three days ........

Any more questions ?

Lost and wandering

When my eggs are at the hatch point I normally turn off the turner as the new born chicks can easily get crushed between the turning and the floor of the incubator now after the chicks hatch you will need to leave them in the incubator to recover as it hatch process took a lot of energy out of the little guys and the chicks have enough food stored inside them to last for three days ........

Any more questions ?

Thank you! One just hatched! Just unplugged the turner in time!

Back
Top Bottom