BYC Guinea hen club

Thank you so very much Guineapeeps!

fl.gif
Now to recover my birds. They decided to take a stroll across the wash and now are about a good 300 yards away in another neighbors yard! Being new to the neighborhood we don't know too many people.
clap.gif
Thank goodness for the GIS mapping system! Made life a little easier last night! They decided to roost on top of these peoples house so now I'm off to go get them, birdseed in hand (thank goodness the dollar store is open late!)
wee.gif

Thank you again,
CryFowl
hugs.gif

[COLOR=FF0000]Thank you so very much Guineapeeps![/COLOR]
fl.gif
[COLOR=006400]Now to recover my birds. They decided to take a stroll across the wash and now are about a good 300 yards away in another neighbors yard! Being new to the neighborhood we don't know too many people. :clap Thank goodness for the GIS mapping system! Made life a little easier last night! They decided to roost on top of these peoples house so now I'm off to go get them, birdseed in hand (thank goodness the dollar store is open late!):weee [/COLOR] [COLOR=006400]Thank you again,[/COLOR] CryFowl :hugs
No problem...glad I could be of help! Guineas are a little crazy with a definite mind of their own, but I still love them! Mine have roosted various places over the last several years, mostly for insane reasons. This spring, I moved a new metal nesting box into their coop and you would've thought it was a monster! All of my Guineas (except one hen who is a little smarter than the rest) tried to roost outside on the top of their coop because they were so scared of it! I found them clinging to the side of the roof and could not bribe them down for anything! I didn't want them to fall during the night so I tried to shoo them down with a broom. They roosted in the tries the rest of the night and luckily were all safe the next morning. I hope it all works out well for you!

I adore my guineas
1f495.png
. They are loud a few times a day; but, I love to listen to their soft cooing. They are the silliest birds; but, I'm getting more keets this year. They are free range so we've never seen eggs. The cutest thing was they were raised with a banty Cochin rooster. He was sure that he was a guinea. So much fun to watch, until a hawk took him in December after leaf drop.

I adore my guineas
1f495.png
. They are loud a few times a day; but, I love to listen to their soft cooing. They are the silliest birds; but, I'm getting more keets this year. They are free range so we've never seen eggs. The cutest thing was they were raised with a banty Cochin rooster. He was sure that he was a guinea. So much fun to watch, until a hawk took him in December after leaf drop.

Glad you joined the thread! Sorry to hear about your rooster:( ....that's hard!
I agree with you that they are silly birds. How many guineas do you have? I currently have 11 guineas that free range during the day and go into the coop at night. I love the cooing that they do at night too! Even though they free range, most of mine will go into the coop to lay their eggs, except for a few younger rebels who choose to lay them out in the fields or tall grass. I've been mostly successful at finding them and somewhat successful at moving hen and nest if I can find them! I've lost a few who have gone broody that I could not find and they got picked off by a predator. You mentioned that you've not seen any eggs....so I'm guessing your guineas have never hatched any keets? For the most part, my guineas are great parents and the whole flock seems to get in on the parenting the keets. Plus, if the guineas raise the keets themselves, I don't have to worry about integrating new keets into the flock!
Maybe you'll be able to get some eggs/keets from your guineas this spring!

We have 5 guineas. They free range during the day and return to roost in the barn rafters. It's 5:37am right now. A loud crashing had us dashing to pull on jeans and boots, grab a gun and flashlight, and run downstairs (we live in an apt over the barn). The only thing that was out of order was 1 guinea sitting on the stall floor looking dazed. We think it just fell off of its perch. Pulled on gloves and brought a towel to wrap it if it was injured; but, as I opened the stall door, the bird jumped up and ran across the stall. We'll watch them all day (can't exactly tell who it was), just in case. Silly bird
1f923.png
!

Is there anything special I would need to know about guinea hens before getting them. I have a neighbor whom I Doing a favor for and taking some guinea hens. They are ordering from a hatchery and have to have a certain number. We have 12 chickens. This neighbor has done plenty of favors for us so we feel obligated to help him. Any advice is welcome

Is there anything special I would need to know about guinea hens before getting them. I have a neighbor whom I Doing a favor for and taking some guinea hens. They are ordering from a hatchery and have to have a certain number. We have 12 chickens. This neighbor has done plenty of favors for us so we feel obligated to help him. Any advice is welcome

Read the Raising Guinea Fowl 101 thread and pay particular attention to posts by @PeepsCA

What happened to PeepsCA?

I wish I knew. The last time she was on BYC was Dec. 19, 2014. The last time that I had heard from her was in late 2014. I tried to contact her in the spring of 2015 and never got any response. I hope she is alright and has stopped posting for other reasons. She has really been missed and is without doubt THE Expert when it comes to guineas.

Back
Top Bottom