BYC Guinea hen club

Pics
I am here I've been doing some checking. You have to have at least 2. They do not do well alone. They also do not ship well in hot weather. I can keep him for another month or I can ship him in the evening and hope he gets there in the morning. He's not feathered yet so he make it ok.

I have chickens that he will do well with
You obviously don't know guineas. Guineas are a flock bird and do not do well alone even if there is other poultry. Their behavior is not the same as other poultry and they will use their feather pulling ways when breeding season comes around.

The odds of a lone guinea keet arriving alive through the USPS are slim to none. There is a reason that hatcheries require a minimum that can range from 15 to 30 keets for shipping and that is they need the warmth of each other to survive.

The USPS will not guarantee overnight delivery for live animals.

Last edited:
I have a sweet little guinea hen setting on about 30 eggs. Well..... She was sweet until she started setting! Now she is ferocious !
14 eggs in the nest and counting!

By the way, a friend at the farmers market asked if I would sell him some guinea eggs for his silkies to hatch. Is it a bad idea to take away eggs from her nest? My guineas seemed to be un-tame-able even though I tried to give them lots of attention as keets. They will only come within 5 feet of me. So, will she still sit on the remaining eggs if they have human smell on them?

14 eggs in the nest and counting!

By the way, a friend at the farmers market asked if I would sell him some guinea eggs for his silkies to hatch. Is it a bad idea to take away eggs from her nest? My guineas seemed to be un-tame-able even though I tried to give them lots of attention as keets. They will only come within 5 feet of me. So, will she still sit on the remaining eggs if they have human smell on them?

Birds have a very poor sense of smell so there is no need to worry about people smell on the eggs. The thing to worry about is messing with the nest while the guineas can see you do it or even worse is to mess with the nest while the hen is on it. If you can find a time when the hen is away from the nest you should be able to remove some eggs without a problem. If you take all the eggs or get caught taking the eggs the hen will most likely abandon the nest.

You can still get your guineas tamer simply by spending a lot of time with them and also by offering them treats such as white millet at those times.

Birds have a very poor sense of smell so there is no need to worry about people smell on the eggs.  The thing to worry about is messing with the nest while the guineas can see you do it or even worse is to mess with the nest while the hen is on it.  If you can find a time when the hen is away from the nest you should be able to remove some eggs without a problem.  If you take all the eggs or get caught taking the eggs the hen will most likely abandon the nest.

You can still get your guineas tamer simply by spending a lot of time with them and also by offering them treats such as white millet at those times. 

My pea eats out of my hand and in so doing the guineas are coming up to me and wanting treats too!

My guineas are a year old and all I got was an egg about every week for a month totalling fifteen all summer. I have four females and a male in a pen that doesn't get a lot of sun. Is that why they aren't laying. Someone said they are supposed to lay about an egg a day in the summer. I just thought guineas laid once in a while when the weather's the hottest.

Back
Top Bottom