BYC Guinea hen club

Pics
Right before dusk tonight, all five of m pipsquacks were outside their coop, in the run, yelling their little heads off...I went outside to see what was causing the ruckus, and they were all standing there looking up at the deck...I swear they were calling me to come give them their millet and tuck them into the coop for the night ! Does anyone else have this happen ??

Right before dusk tonight, all five of m pipsquacks were outside their coop, in the run, yelling their little heads off...I went outside to see what was causing the ruckus, and they were all standing there looking up at the deck...I swear they were calling me to come give them their millet and tuck them into the coop for the night ! Does anyone else have this happen ??
My gunieas are unamused when anything is empty, an empty bowl is bad. I got chewed out the other night and my make came after me for removing the feeder to fill it with their breakfast... I think the winter has him on edge. Cranky. But quite often them just watch me to be sure I do things properly... Now I know that doesn't include taking the feeder with me (I usually fill it in there... Since it got them.., not making that mistake again) I think this time of year that's a more important food source? So yea they're a bit bossy indeed. One morning I let them out to run and forgot their breakfast.... I've never seen a madder bird accept the time a goose nested in the back of our property and I went out to play ball with my dog.... She dive bombed me ;)

Momma Hen REST IN PEACE
hit.gif
hit.gif

A couple of dog's dug a big hole under the fence and got to Momma as she sat on the third set of egg's for the year and she was only 49 weeks old and had already hatched out two set's of chicks and had her 8+ week old chicks near by 7 total and 5 Keets of the same age and the dog's got them all as the shed only has a very small hole in the wire at the bottom of the shed to get out and were safe for a very long time but even with Rail Road Ties around the borders and in the ground half way the dog's took the time in the day light to dig and I only could hear the noise of the 3 older guinea so I went out side and saw the carnage in action .....

This happened at 4 PM and the Sheriffs Deputies did not show up till after shift change 7 PM to find out what was going on and according to the many complaint calls the Deputies knew or thought it was something bad and they took the two dog's off my fence and put them in some bags and said they are getting tired of this and I said so am I as are my kids and family so it was turned over to animal control because my birds are live stock and it was out of their jurisdiction no matter how many shots I fired in my yard .......
hu.gif

PS ,,, I have been very ill the last couple of months so I have been staying inside and not keeping up on the fencing but I did notice the dogs for the last couple of weeks and should have put out some traps some time ago
sad.png

gander007
old.gif

We shot a pit bull that was after my guineas! There were 2 of them, I forgot to reload the gun after shooting at a hawk. So we only got 1 of them. The guinea lost some feathers but is ok. I have chain link fence on top of railroad ties, but I lest them free range during the day! I didn't feel the least bit sorry we shot the dog! I am so sorry you lost your momma and her babies.

In my state (So.Dak.) it is perfectly legal to shoot a dog (or other domestic animal) that is harassing (can't remember the technical term for it. lol) livestock. Fowl are considered livestock so I have every right to shoot a dog that comes on my property. I did have problems with a cat eating my ducklings this spring, it never touched the keets. I, however, have a husband who is a city kid so I had to trap the cat (instead of just shooting it) and send him to "visit" my sister about 30 miles away on her farm. Hopefully he doesn't come back.

Last edited:
Thank you all for all this wonderful information! I am so sorry to hear of your losses as well. I have 11 chickens and they are my first flock I would be so upset if they got killed. Guinea hens have been on my mind since I started researching chickens, I live in New England and am wondering how they fare in colder climates? I would hate to get them just for them to die because of the cold. Would I have to keep them seperated from my chickens all the time or just during mating season? Thank you all for the great information and pictures, I am so addicted to chickens and guineas.

Mine have done ok with the cold, I live in So.Dak. I would recommend getting them when it warms up in the spring so they have a chance to grow up and get fully feathered before winter. I raised mine with my ducks, so not sure how they are with chickens.

Back
Top Bottom