BYC Guinea hen club

Pics
Hello everyone. I was interested in getting guinea keets this summer and I have some questions.

Can I feed my keets chick starter?

Is it possible to buy them from a nearby hatchery and drive them home without losses? Are they that sensitive to cold?

Can I brood them just like I brood chicks?

Are there certain foods they cannot eat?

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it!
smile.png

You can feed the keets chick starter but it is not good for them. Keets need a much higher protein content than is in chick starter. You should feed your keets a quality turkey/game bird starter that is a minimum of 26% protein. Higher is better.

Read the Raising Guinea Fowl 101 thread and pay particular attention to any posts by PeepsCA.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/312682/raising-guinea-fowl-101

You can feed the keets chick starter but it is not good for them.  Keets need a much higher protein content than is in chick starter.  You should feed your keets a quality turkey/game bird starter that is a minimum of 26% protein.  Higher is better.

Read the Raising Guinea Fowl 101 thread and pay particular attention to any posts by PeepsCA.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/312682/raising-guinea-fowl-101

I use 28% protein Game Bird Starters. I raised a bunch of keets on it. It works wonders!

Hello everyone. I was interested in getting guinea keets this summer and I have some questions.

Can I feed my keets chick starter?

Is it possible to buy them from a nearby hatchery and drive them home without losses? Are they that sensitive to cold?

Can I brood them just like I brood chicks?

Are there certain foods they cannot eat?

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it!
smile.png
When I got mine, I raised them with some baby chicks. I fed them all chick starter along with game bird feed in about a 3:1 ratio. They all survived and thrived. Once the chicks were old enough to get grower/layer feed and they all started free ranging, I no longer mixed the feed. The guineas got the layer feed and free ranged at will. They stopped going in the coop with the chickens at 5 months of age. Slept in the trees. As for treats, they liked scratch grains as well as some fruits I put out for all of them. They would get millet seed in their outdoor feeder daily as 'a little something extra".

Back
Top Bottom