BYC Member Interview - azygous - **UPDATE 09-30-23 page 3**

Thanks for a very interesting interview, it's nice to learn more about you! One day I'd like to hear some of those ranger days stories
smile.png

Nice to finally "meet" you! What an inspiration.

Isn't it amazing, when we look back, all the mistakes we made at first? I think it's great for the newbies to be able to read things like this and see that someone so seasoned and confident with her birds now, was once a newbie who made mistakes. Just like all of us!

Quote:

Did you know that chickens have a rather complex language that we can understand if we take time to learn it? And that they have syntax? They actually speak in sentences like we humans, only their "words" are notes, and the meaning of an uttered phrase changes according to how many notes there are, and where the accent is on the series of notes.

The first time I ever noticed this was when I was holding a two-day old chick and my cat came into the room. The chick rattled off the exact same five-note phrase the older chickens uttered when they saw my cat coming.

Sometime later, I was in the run one day when the chickens told me a bear was approaching. It was a similar five-note phrase, but the accent was on a different note than the phrase for a friendly animal. It gave me time to prepare for the inevitable encounter with the bear who saw the sign that said "Carol's Meat Market".

Have a rooster that has been separated from his hens for about a month and a half now (waiting for a couple of hens to re-grow feathers due to a feather picking hen). About a week ago we bought five 4 week old pullets and housed them in their own pen near the rooster (that is where the available shade is). At first he ignored them, then crowed and made a noise which caused them all to go running into their coop. Next day he did the same thing; they ignored him and run around playing as usual. Now he is making this EEEEEEEEEEEE noise, which sounds like a squealing noise. Do you know what that means? He is not mean or anything, it is just so odd ... he does spend a lot of time watching them so we think he enjoys doing so. Does that noise even have anything to do with the new pullets?

Can you record it and post it? Sounds like he's seeing something that he considers to be a threat. My roo has been doing a lot of day time growling. Different sound than the overhead predator sound. I think there is a 4 legged predator around. One of my gals disappeared yesterday without a trace.

Back
Top Bottom