BYC Member Interview - SmiYa0126

N F C

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Dec 12, 2013
KY
@SmiYa0126

Come say hello to @SmiYa0126 who comes to us from SE Pennsylvania and has been a member since July 2021.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself. And is there a story behind your member name?

I'm a corporate peon by day and animal lover all day and all night. I love to garden, cook, and care for my hubby.

2. Why and when did you start keeping poultry?
My grandma and my mom had chickens when we lived in Russia and Ukraine. I remember taking care of chicks when I was around 10 years old. My first flock of guineas was in 2020 mainly for tick control. After a bad ending to my guinea flock I switched to chickens. It's been such a joy to watch their antics.

3. Which aspects of poultry keeping do you enjoy the most?
I love it when they come running when they see me, especially my Easter egger Lotte, she is my "love hugs and kisses" chicken.
Lotte overseeing her kingdom
SmiYa interview a.png

Her loyal subjects
SmiYa interview b.png

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?
Out of my guineas it was little Babs, she had a rough start at the feed store but grew up to be a wild and crazy guinea. It's harder to pick out of my chicken flock because they all have endearing qualities, however if I had to pick it would be Lotte, she's so sweet and makes my heart leap with joy when she runs to me.

5. What was the funniest poultry related thing that has happened to you in your years as an owner?
Me rushing out of the door barely dressed, ripped from sleep because the guineas were squeaking, only to find out that it was just a flock wild turkeys walking by 🫣😂

6. Beside poultry, what other pets do you keep?
We have two mutts, Fifi and Paulie. They're a crazy set of pups with Paulie keeping me on my toes and Fifi keeping him in check 😂

7. Anything you'd like to add?
I just want to say a BIG Heartfelt THANK YOU to this community. You've become like family to me 💗. With you guys I'm never alone!

@SmiYa0126

For more information about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews:

introducing-vip-member-interviews

Wonderful interview @SmiYa0126! Beautiful photos! ❤ I've done that too, running outside in my robe and bare feet after hearing what I think is a predator looking for dinner, only to find its just a bunch of egg singing, crazy crowing, loud screaming birds that have nothing better to do than scare me half to death. 🤣 Thanks for sharing yourself with us! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom