Cackle chicks coming

A few things you can do to perhaps help your birds. I would lower the temperature in the brooder and look at how you are actually measuring the temperature. Make sure your thermometer is at chick level, not on the floor. Also watch the chicks to see if they are huddled or staying away from the light. This is the best indicator of chick comfort I think.

Make sure your birds have lots of water. If they only have one waterer, put in a second.

Make sure you are feeding a starter with amprolium to prevent and treat any cocci.

Also make sure the box you have them in is large enough and clean. High levels of ammonia can cause respiratory distress as well.

Last edited:
You have them in two different boxes... Chicks in one box dying but in other one are fine. Same type boxes? Come from same place?

I'm not to sure but what I wouldn't replace the death plagued box...transport nothing to the new box but what can be sanitized *well*...get rid of old bedding, disinfect feeders and waterers. Get rid of "toys". Maybe the box was treated with a preservative/pesticide/etc.

Monitor the movement of the chicks. If none are meandering around under the heat lamp then it is probably too low and making it too hot. Make sure the chicks have enough brooder space to get away from the lamp if they want to get away from it (that's the only way to self-regulate their temperature).

Best wishes,
Ed

Thanks every one I've used both brooders before and there not too hot because the move around and stay partially under the heat lamp

Back
Top Bottom